Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's a common misconception people have about you?

@chrystaltree wrote:

That I'm younger than I look.  I'm 58 but people tend to think I'm about 10 years younger.  

Oh, I know it. People assume I'm in my twenties............Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

It's quite common that women (today) are taken to be younger than their actual age.  Face it, (no pun intended) we tend to take better care of ourselves.  When I was a child, I thought all grandmothers had tightly permed, gray hair, and wore dowdy clothes on slightly rounded figures. This is how grandmothers looked on TV and (in my case) real life.

I'm 67 and a grandmother of 4.  I do not resemble the vision (from my youth) of how a grandmother looked.

It's ironic, when I was 21 I always had to prove my age.  Now, when I present my license or say I'm on Medicare, I am almost always given an incredulous inquiry about my age. Could be receptionists are trained to make us feel flattered.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1No one at Walgreen's believes I'm old enough for their "Senior Day." In fact, I didn't even know about it until last year when a friend and I were in a Walgreen's and she received their discount; I did not. She is 66 and I'm 70! Now, I know to shop on the first Tuesday of the month if I want something from Walgreen's . . . and I always let them know I'm a Senior Citizen! Smiley Wink

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I just read the last few posts and thought I'd share a story of my own.  I mentioned in an earlier post that many people think I'm a lot younger than my chronological age.  Case in point:

A few months ago DH and I were in Perkins Restaurant and we ordered from their 55 plus menu.  We do that because the meals are smaller and I am not a big eater.  The waitress looked at me and said:  "I'm sorry but you're not eligible for 55 plus.  I'm going to have to card you."  I told her I am indeed older than 55 (actually I am in my 70's) and offered to show her my driver's license but she declined and took me at my word.  I was flattered and considered it a nice compliment.  She took my 55 plus order and served it with a twinkle in her eye.  DH and I remember that every time we eat at Perkins.  We just smile and wonder which waitress will want to card me next.    

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~