Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's Up with Psychologists?

@Biftu wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@Biftu Has your friend asked for names of private psychiatrists and clinical social workers?  It sounds like she doesn't necessarily need a psychologist.

I am concerned about her going to an agency.  When agencies have waiting lists they tend to limit the number of visits each patient can have.

@KarenQVC  Psychiatrists are very expensive and there are none in her network. Seems physchiatrists generally do not accept insurance, at least that is what she has found.  In any event, she may not need that level of care.  I don't think she looked into social workers.  Not sure what you mean by an agency.

@Biftuif she wants talk therapy only, it's best to begin with a therapist or a psychologist.  They are all different.  Some can dispense meds if needed some can not.  Talk therapy = Psychologist which in many states requires a doctoral degree.  Therapist - psycho analysts = Master's and up.  Psychiatrists are doctors who can dispense medicine.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Biftu 

If this hasn't already been suggested, Google "NAMI" and find her local NAMI chapter's phone number.  Or she can submit a message via that chapter's website.  Someone there should be able to assist her in finding help.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Biftu 

If this hasn't already been suggested, Google "NAMI" and find her local NAMI chapter's phone number.  Or she can submit a message via that chapter's website.  Someone there should be able to assist her in finding help.

@mistriTsquirrel  Thanks for that suggestion, that's great.  I've never heard of them.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, help and kind thoughts.  I have shared your suggestions for her to persue.  She heard back from two psychologists who both were fully booked.  One gave her another person to try.  Guess this is a process -- who knew!

Esteemed Contributor

She has an appointment the middle of October!  So relieved.  Thanks everyone.

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

She has an appointment the middle of October!  So relieved.  Thanks everyone.

@Biftu   Good news.  I hope everything will work out and again, kudos to you for being there for her.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have her call her local hospital and see if she can get a referral.  Even if she has to pay, I would hope it would be the best money she could spend on herself.  Good luck to her. 

Or does she have a minister, priest, Rabbi, or counselor she might get some ideas from?

Respected Contributor

There are MANY professional therapists who are NOT psychologists! I personally think that the best counselors are licensed social workers. Tell her to expand her search to look for LSW or LCSW's. The training is much different. I don't particularly agree with the training that psychologists receive. 

Just FYI, you will often not find the best person in-network! Yes, there are great therapists BUT, there are also bad and ineffective ones. 

Also, don't bash an entire profession simply because your friend contacted 4 people!