Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's Up with Psychologists?

[ Edited ]

@Biftu wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

My niece is a self employed therapist with an active practice.  I can assure you that her business practices are not those of the people you describe.  The ones your friend called may be employed by a HMO and may not be eager for more business. 

Tell your friend to be persistent and report that these people have not returned her calls.  Get more names and numbers. 

Does she by chance work for a company with an EAP? 

@Kachina624 She's retired.  She drove by two of the ones she called and both are in private homes.  They may not be eager for more business but they should at least have the courtesy to return her call and say they are not accepting new patients if that is the case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usually on their website it will state that they are not accepting new patients. If all she has are their phone numbers, then she won't know unless the recording gives the information.

Honored Contributor

@retiredatlast wrote:

I am a retired LCSW and worked in community mental health for over 25 years.  She can try calling the local county mental health program in her area to see if they will see her.  Some places will not take people with private insurance, but others may.  It is worth a try for her.  If by some chance she is a senior citizen, she can contact her local Council on Aging for assistance.

I recognize that these providers are overburdened, but there is a social responsibilty for providers to offer care, so she should keep trying.  

@retiredatlast 

Tough job - 25 years, bless you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Biftu  I'm sorry that your friend is having challenging days.  Many people are experiencing unrest in our country these days, so it would not surprise me to find counseling facilities on overload.

I respect you for setting boundaries and yet continuing to be a good friend.  In the meantime, there are so many strategies that can reduce stress.   There are so many resources and tools she can implement that are available that are free and accessible.  Does she have a spiritual base?  Has she considered her diet, exercise, sleep patterns.  She can go online research, reflect, and spend quiet time with breath excises and simple meditation.  Walking in nature is an evidence based technique that is known to be calming/stress reducing. A simple technique like drinking more water is known to be calming.  Perhaps a 12 step program can help (there are many different types)...free and might meet her needs and provide her with socialization and a different perspective.  You can offer these simple, yet effective, strategies without feeling like you are a counselor.  

It is her responsibility to take action and it sounds like she is willing and open to move ahead.  I'm wishing both of you the best, and respect to you for standing by your friend.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son is an MSW therapist. They and all in the mental health field are buried to their eyeballs with the stress from the pandemic, unemployment, politics, grief, etc etc etc. Give them time.

In my area, Lutheran Social Services and Catholic Social Services offer counseling by MSWs and psychologists based on income. It's not religious based counseling. Have her check out those. 

Tell your friend to call back every day.

Esteemed Contributor

Just yesterday I was searching online for a therapist specializing in brainspotting.  Due to Covid, my findings were many only offer telehealth services.

Esteemed Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Right now many medical professionals are overburdened.

It is important to be a strong advocate for one's own health and be persistent.  I would be calling a place a few times daily if I really wanted to get through to them. 

Unfortunately, they may not return calls as quickly as people want them to be returned.

It sounds as if those practices are very small.  Perhaps the psychologists are even on vacation, or do not have office help.

I understand you are her friend, but you said you live out of state.  Doesn't she have any family or neighbors, or a place of worship she could also turn to for more immediate assistance?

There was a lot of great advice shared on this thread.  

It appears your friend really relies on you and you are always there for her. You sound like a very good friend, but sometimes people have to learn how to help themselves as well. 

I wish the best for both of you.  

@FancyPhillyshopper  She is being proactive and continuing to call for an appointment.  She'll take other steps as suggested here as well. I'm just surprised it is this difficult.  She relies on me especially since she is alone with only acquaintances where she is and she has no family at all.  She is lonely and having issues with no one to talk to is a challenge.  We have been best friends since the second grade.  Thanks for your kind wishes.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Biftu  I'm sorry that your friend is having challenging days.  Many people are experiencing unrest in our country these days, so it would not surprise me to find counseling facilities on overload.

I respect you for setting boundaries and yet continuing to be a good friend.  In the meantime, there are so many strategies that can reduce stress.   There are so many resources and tools she can implement that are available that are free and accessible.  Does she have a spiritual base?  Has she considered her diet, exercise, sleep patterns.  She can go online research, reflect, and spend quiet time with breath excises and simple meditation.  Walking in nature is an evidence based technique that is known to be calming/stress reducing. A simple technique like drinking more water is known to be calming.  Perhaps a 12 step program can help (there are many different types)...free and might meet her needs and provide her with socialization and a different perspective.  You can offer these simple, yet effective, strategies without feeling like you are a counselor.  

It is her responsibility to take action and it sounds like she is willing and open to move ahead.  I'm wishing both of you the best, and respect to you for standing by your friend.

@phoenixbrd  All good suggestions.  She is very fit and walks every day and she also meditates.  She always has a bottle of water with her and she is a vegetarian and cooks healthy meals for herself.  What she needs is socialization since she is now alone but joining things during this pandemic is concerning to her.  It's difficult to see those you love in pain.  All I can do is my best and pray she gets through her difficult times.  Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

If possible, I would go to the office of one of the psychologists and ask for an appt in person. I have had similar trouble getting my PCP to return a call. Maddening, but it doesn't seem to be uncommon nowadays. 

Honored Contributor

@Biftu   I agree a return call should have happened, even if the therapist could not take on another client.  Even then most therapists can refer to another one.  

It is possible, even though she received these names from her insurance company, that the therapists may actually not be in network anymore. 

It happens.

Her PCP really should help her and the suggestion upthread about senior services is also a good way to turn.

Also these therapists each could have a website and while she shouldn't have to chase, it might indicate what is going on with each one.  Some are not doing in-person sessions right now, or they may indicate that they are not taking new clients.

If she checks her account online with the insurance company, some providers will also be listed as "Established Patients Only".

So while they are in-network their pratice may be filled.

Good luck to your friend; and kudos to you for helping.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Biftu   I agree a return call should have happened, even if the therapist could not take on another client.  Even then most therapists can refer to another one.  

It is possible, even though she received these names from her insurance company, that the therapists may actually not be in network anymore. 

It happens.

Her PCP really should help her and the suggestion upthread about senior services is also a good way to turn.

Also these therapists each could have a website and while she shouldn't have to chase, it might indicate what is going on with each one.  Some are not doing in-person sessions right now, or they may indicate that they are not taking new clients.

If she checks her account online with the insurance company, some providers will also be listed as "Established Patients Only".

So while they are in-network their pratice may be filled.

Good luck to your friend; and kudos to you for helping.

Thanks @Cakers3  you are right.  After finding a couple options on websites that accepted her insurance, come to find out they no longer did.  Providers come in and out of networks and don't update their web page.  Just another hurdle.  Unfortunately the PCP that she was seeing retired and she hasn't been to the practice since he retired though she should call the office.  She left messages to those on her list again today.  We'll see.  She's dealing with a lot and it's just not right that getting help should be this difficult.  Thanks for your kind words.