Honored Contributor

Re: What room-temp, no-fuss snack do you like to keep on hand for random holiday visitors?

You know what, ignore the side eye and try the chick peas. It never hurts to try new things, and they might turn out to be a favorite.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

Re: What room-temp, no-fuss snack do you like to keep on hand for random holiday visitors?

Here's something that is easy, pretty, and stays fresh for a long time. Takes a little prep but you can make a huge batch and be done. Lay some round pretzels out on a cookie sheet. Put a plain Hershey's kiss on top of each pretzel. Warm in the oven at about 250 degrees for about 5-10 minutes. Press each kiss with a spoon to spread it out on the pretzel. Put a red or green m&m on top. Let set to harden and you are done. Store in airtight container and they are good for weeks. (Bonus--You get to eat all the other colors of the m&ms).

Honored Contributor

Random drop-ins would be offered a cup of coffee or tea and whatever happened to be in the cookie jar.

Respected Contributor

Lately we’ve really taken to Gala apples, so I’ve always got a few in the kitchen. I like to slice an apple and some cheese to offer as a snack. BJ’s sells a “flat” of 4 different kinds of cheeses that are pretty tasty and pre-sliced into rectangles. Offer them with apple slices or crackers and anyone should be happy (at least surprise guests should). I also like to pair cheese with fig preserves that you can buy in the supermarket. Of course, there’s always pretzels to dip in a little honey mustard or Nutella. I finished my last batch of Christmas cookies today and the kitchen is closed to impromptu meals for the time being. 

Respected Contributor

I found that sardines on Ritz crackers are an easy to prepare and serve treat....

With a glass of water on the side....

I don't know if people REALLY enjoy it though....they never come back!

So now I really don't have to worry about having room temp food to serve!!!!

Respected Contributor

Random drop-ins? As in people that rudely show up unannounced, uninvited and expect to be let in to your home AND given food? Not at my house, holiday or not. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We always have a good supply of a variety of bakery cookies.  Mostly frozen for 'drop-ins'.    (I love browsing our local supermarket bakery.  So many fresh-baked, bakery- packaged cookies/items to choose.  My gosh, are we lucky to have so much available to us.  Fairly inexpensive, too.   A large tray of cookies for $4 or $5.  Excellent selections, too; not just one type.  Supermarket bakeries have come a long way. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

Thanks for all the replies..think I will keep some sort of dip and crackers and a bag of chips or pretzels on hand and some assorted drinks, like wild vines and some pop/soda like ginger ale. 

Super Contributor

@BirdieGal

Room-temp, no-fuss snacks???

Trusted Contributor

I see these as no fuss. Room temp can also mean that even though it must be heated, it can hold at room temp for quite a while.