Super Contributor

What room-temp, no-fuss snack do you like to keep on hand for random holiday visitors?

I just can't deal with random drop-in's this year, not when it comes to serving something, anyway. What is something nice to have on hand, that I can serve at room temp, and if is something that needs cooked or prepared, it can hang around for a week or so..? Nothing that needs prep work while the unexpected company shows up. 

I was thinking of maybe David venable's spiced chickpeas that he showed the other day, but those get cooked in an air fryer and I know I could probably adapt it to an oven, but I also kind of want something I guess more 'safe,' and spiced chickpeas might get some side-eye glances, lol.. 

So just short of having Pepperridge Farms something or other, any ideas..? 

Thanks!!! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Re: What room-temp, no-fuss snack do you like to keep on hand for random holiday visitors?

@msh8970. . . .    Random drop-ins? Ha! It's coffee (or other Keurig beverage) and Christmas cookies for random drop-ins. That's it. Done. Finished. I cannot be prepared for every unexpected guest. I'll serve what I have, but I'll serve it graciously and with genuine warmth and pleasure at the visit from a friend or loved one who cared enough to come and see us. To me, the time spent together is more important than what food or drink is served, whether at my home or some one else's.

Holiday Hugs. . 

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

Re: What room-temp, no-fuss snack do you like to keep on hand for random holiday visitors?

I don’t do any type of holiday snacks or nibbles; not even a candy dish here.   Outside of making cookies for Santa when my girls were small, my family has never been interested in this extra stuff.   

Honored Contributor

assorted nuts

good quality candies/chocolates (just received some from sees)

hidden valley ranch oyster crackers (keep them in a lock and lock so that they will stay fresh)

cheeses and crackers

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Doritos and salsa.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Random drop ins are unlikley with me, but I do keep a couple of cheeses and water crackers handy, along with nice chocolates and large cashews. I also keep an ice box cake in the fridge this time of year and yes, it's Pepperidge Farm. I almost always have ranch dip on hand, anyway, and often keep baby carrots in the fridge. I also often keep chips and salsa around because I like to snack on them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

We are having house guests staying with us. So we already started to make snacks. It seems like all we do is prepare meals, eat and clean up and then repeat. So we like to have snacks around to tide over the guests until the next meal.

My husband made his batch of chex mix (with powder ranch dressing, oil and nuts) yesterday and I did lemon cookies, we bought chocolate covered pretzels, buttercreams, chocolate covered caramels, peanut clusters. shortbread cookies and chocolates.

We also bought an assortment of cheeses, boursin, summer sausages (every store seemed to have a different brand - so we are going to taste test) and pepperoni. We are also going to prepare shrimp for snacking. Once the shrimp is cooked, you can just put it out. 

I also have Harry and David pepper relish that goes well with crackers. Just add the relish to cream cheese and you are done.

That is what we bought so far. As we get closer to the weekend we have a few more grocery runs to do.

Trusted Contributor

There are some very nice, good quality appetizers you can find in the freezer section now. 

Safeway gets some good things as well as Trader Joe’s. I was at TJ last week and bought two boxes of their goat cheese, bacon wrapped dates. You can heat them in oven. I did mine in air fryer.

I also bought a bag of their little crepes filled with ementaller cheese. I put some of each of those things out on pretty platters to serve with wine. With the little crepes I had a small dish of raspberry jam along side.

Little egg rolls, puff pastries with savory fillings, etc. etc.

There are many things like this that you just keep in freezer and use how much you need and when you need them.

Merry Christmas!

Trusted Contributor

Ohhh,

Trader Joe’s pepper jelly OR raspberry chipotle sauce over whipped cream cheese and serve with crackers is great and only take a minute to put together.

I always have a selection of good cheeses here for us so I can always use those. 

Honored Contributor

I have two lock and lock containers that can hold ice in the bottom to keep dips and veggies cold. Otherwise I suggest Chex mix, mints, candies, cookies, chips.