Regular Contributor

Re: What makes you nostalgic for the past?

Music and perfumes from the past....takes me right back to a moment in time

Contributor

That must of been wonderful, my mother died when I was 36, my dad when I was 43.  We had alot of wonderful times.  One of the best when I was living in Scotland and they came to visit.  I can remember  sitting on a patio near Duthie gardens in Aberdeen drinking tea and eating shortbread and watching gardeners  plant pansies.  Days go by too fast.  But I smile everytime I see a pansy.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   Wonderful memories of those travels.  My dear sister bought a motor home when she retired and traveled the Southwest.  The learning curve was steep, but she did a great job getting up to speed.  I know those were happy, adventurous times for her as well.  It took courage for a single woman to do that.  

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue    Yes, it does take guts to take off on your own in a complicated mechanical device.  There are clubs of single women RVers.  If I was younger, I'd consider it but that ship has sailed for me.

Is you sister still travelling?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Seeing young children makes me nostalgic for those early days of raising a young family.  It was hectic and wild and challenging and I often didn't  really experience the joy of it all.  Lately I've been thinking about our Easters. I really enjoyed making their big Easter baskets, picking out their outfits, Easter egg hunts on the lawn, taking them to church and shooshing them to sit quietly, dinner at my parent's house.  It would be nice to go back in time to tell my younger self... slow down, relax, enjoy because these are the best years of your life.

Super Contributor

That is exactly what my grandmother told all of us when we were raising our families.  She said these are the happiest days of your life.  She was so right.❤️

Respected Contributor

@redbird Your mention of perfume reminded me of my female relatives who have passed. My grandmother wore Tabu and for quite some time my mother wore Giorgio. Whenever I smell those fragrances I think of them. In fact, I have a bottle of Tabu and a bottle of Giorgio sitting in my powder room as a reminder.

The sense of smell has the longest memory of all the senses. Often when I am cooking I will think of the smell of my grandmother's kitchen. Funny thing, when it smells right, it tastes right. I know I have duplicated the dish perfectly.

Honored Contributor

Not much makes me nostalgic.  I don't enjoy looking back, and I don't really see a point in thinking about what isn't any more.  

I try to fill up today's life and be happy and living in the now.  But I still have the love of my life with me, so that's really what I need.  

Esteemed Contributor

I can identify with so much everyone has said.  I am one of those sentimental savers, and I recently went through so much of what I had saved from our DS and DD growing up.

I finally bought some decorative boxes to give them what I had saved from their childhoods.

Maybe the best part of a compulsive saver - there likely were things I would have thrown away because they didn’t seem important at the time.

I miss those years and all the relatives and friends who have passed since that time.  But I am grateful for what we have today.  I know that nothing lasts forever.

Honored Contributor

I've lived in the same city for over 50 years except for a couple years where I lived elsewhere. As much as I love progress and growth, I don't enjoy living in the middle of it and I really miss the way things were when I first came to this town. I see old historical buildings that seem out-of-place now and roads I used to call 'back roads' which have become nearly highways now. It's a different place here now for sure....sigh.