Valued Contributor

What keeps your long-term friendships fresh and growing?

I have a friend of over 40 years...and I feel we've grown apart.  We live in different states, usually see each other 2-3 times a year.  I feel I need to take a step back...makes me sad.

How do you keep your long-term friendships fresh and fun? Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!  Thanks, have a great weekend!

Honored Contributor

Re: What keeps your long-term friendships fresh and growing?

I have an out of state friend I worked with for years.  Everytime we talk, I call her and she'll say, "now let's stay in touch".  I remind her I do all the calling.  The last time I spoke with her, 1 1/2 years ago, I decided I wasn't going to call her again and sure enough, she hasn't called me.  So I guess that's the end of that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Usually the time apart does the trick and not seeing her every time I'm in town.  Why don't you suggest doing something you did in the early years of the friendship where there are good memories.  Or suggest something totally off the wall to shake it up.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes it’s best to put some distance between you. Give yourselves a chance to miss eachother.DH & I did that last year with friends we’ve had for about 40 years.We felt we were drifting apart & being taken for granted.

People change overtime.Priorities change.Sometimes it’s best to allow yourselves to drift apart. Then you can assess wether or not you miss eachother.If you don’t it’s best to leave it alone & move on for the time being.Or like in our case our friends reached out to us.We went out to dinner & reminisced about “the good old days”. It reminded us why became friends in the first place.

Now we get together less than we used to. But it’s more real.It’s not out of habit but rather because we miss eachother.We enjoy playing catch up & we find ourselves laughing a lot!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@barb40-

I had a friend like that.

We've known each other almost all our lives and been best friends for a lot of that.

But at some point, both our lives had so many changes with family, children, moving and just life that we eventually stopped communicating even though a few times before that when we got together it was like we'd never stopped being bff's.

But she would say call me anytime but admitted she rarely looked at her phone or email and would say lets do it again but when I would suggest a time she often wouldn't answer.

I found out her mother was sick, then she got a divorce then moved across the country.

I am sad about it but treasure the years we had together.

A very wise friend said she felt there were seasons for when people come into our lives. I've begun to appreciate that and them for those times in my life.

However, another friend who I've known for about 50 years, I don't think we will ever stop being friends even though we don't live in the same state. We still visit and both of us never feel any pressure to call or anything, just when we think to call, its usually both of us felt like calling or texting. We share happy news and sad.

I've learned it's okay when our friendships sometimes don't last forever but to be thankful for having had them.

There will be all kinds of friends we have in our lives and its good to appreciate them all.

I wanted to add that like others have said, if a friend keeps saying lets get together etc. but you are always doing the calling, I would stop calling.

My mother a few long time friends like this. They enjoyed each other but she found after awhile she was the one who initiated any getting together. She decided too that she wouldn't call anymore and that was that as @Kachina624 said.

Or a friend who never asks about you and only talks about herself and her life, that is not really a friendship and I would talk to them about how I felt. If it didn't change I wouldn't consider that a friend.

Nor as someone brought up in another thread, someone who tells a person who is alone during the holidays all the wonderful times they had with their many family members, or went somewhere they know their friend has always wanted to go or do yet didn't invite them.

That to me is selfish and insensitive, someone who just doesn't have any emotional intelligence.

Anyway, its a subject that I guess we will all try to figure out. Friendship can at times be very hurtful, hard to understand, but we shouldn't give it up, cause somewhere there might just be that great true one, a "kindred spirit" who knows what friendship is.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I have several friends in other states that I seldom see.  We talk on the phone on occasion but I make a big effort to send cards with short notes in them.  Since we all have busy lives that seems to work better than an email, etc.  I just bought four funny valentines cards to send.  

Respected Contributor

I have one friend that is one of my best friends and we have been like that for fifty six years. We live in different states but we always have stayed in touch on a regular basis. We both make the effort to call each other and it is important to both of us that we are life long friends. I have another friend that I have been friends with for thirty five years and we now live in different states also. It has become more of a casual friendship as I just got tired of being the one to stay in touch. I think in life we have friends that come and go and at the time they are an important part of our lives but then for different reasons that changes. It doesn't mean it wasn't a good friendship when it was going on but it might not be one that is a permanent part of our lives like others are. Life is constantly changing and with that our likes, interest and time also changes.

Honored Contributor

Every now and then, we now just email.  She's one of those dear sweet and loving people and she likes to laugh.  She's just really nice.  I have a lot of admiration and respect for her and I've known her since 1966 when our husbands were both in the military and we had apartments right next to each other.  We were both pg at the same time, had our kids at the same hospital, and use to walk over to a store and each bought an apple now and then.  So simple back then.

I think we'll be friends forever.  Her husband is a really nice guy too and so are her kids.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two very old friends who moved far away.  We make an effort to stay in touch with phone calls and cards.  One is a big reader, and we mail books back and forth (book rates are cheap).  The other is still working, so we talk less frequently but manage to keep in touch.  Both of them are like sisters to me, and they feel the same way.  We love each other and say so.  Once you reach a certain age (70s), time is precious.  

Honored Contributor

Many friendships I had for a long time have dwindled away.  I can say that I have been so sad about so many of them and have cried over some and felt a great loss.  I know I have not been perfect but I can say in all honesty that I tried for many years with some of them and was pretty much always the one who tried to keep the friendships going.  It was always me who stressed --- we should keep in contact more often, let's get together, let's make it a point to call, write, e-mail --- whatever.  After doing this for so long, I decided, I would sit back and see what happened if I was no the one who initiated things.  And things just dwindled down to nothing.  If I made no move, then it was like the friends did not even care to make any effort at all.  So, finally I just said --- if they don't care or the friendship means so little to them -- then so be it.  That's not my idea of friendship.  I still have quite a few friends that have moved to various states and I am very close to them and see them rarely, although we are in constant contact.  They have been better to me and been there for me more than friends I had in the past who were physically closer and just never had time or took time to talk or spend time with me.  I told one friend in a letter, once I decided that I wasn't making any more efforts if she did not.  Friendships are like flowers gardens ---for them to thrive and grow, they need to be tended to and cared for.  I never heard from her again.  So, the short of it is --- if you value a friendship --- nurture it and care for it.   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin