Valued Contributor

Re: What is your percentage of food waste?

If you keep bananas in the frig, the skin will get black, but the bananas will last longer.

Honored Contributor

Maybe some pizza crust......(once in a while)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

With two healthy and hungry clean up crew dogs, there is little to no waste EVER of food!

Honored Contributor

Geez - 1% = 5% here?  We are likely at 25% but that is purely a guess.  We toss canned and packaged goods after the expiration date.  No canned good is worth any kind of food poisoning.

We are also not good about not wasting meat - we cook dinner, package up the leftovers with very good intentions to eat them, then change our minds and toss them out on garbage day.  We need to work on just cooking less to begin with.

Respected Contributor

the only thing that I can think of is when I buy some thing that is spoiled or broken (eggs) from the very beginning, like most recently breakfast sausage and when opened had an off smell.

Other than that, nothing.  I just can't imagine throwing away canned foods because they are outdated, you could probably eat most of that stuff even a year later. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I mostly find its fresh vegetables I end up "wasting".  Tomatos, peppers, celery don't seem to last as long -- I've been cutting my peppers and putting them in LNL containers.

Very little food waste and my spouse before pandemic never liked leftovers BUT now I've made  leftovers and he hasn't had a problem.  

I'm not going to food store and bulk buying so we are limited to what I'm cooking.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   I have almost no food waste. Less than 1% definitely. A few bits left on my plate or in the pan after cooking is about all there is. 

Esteemed Contributor

We throw out very little food - my guess is between 2% - 5%. Hubby takes care of leftovers because he can't bear to throw it out. I do not go by "best if used by" dates on canned food. Just yesterday I used a can of stewed tomatoes that was 6-months past the use-by date. I try to rotate canned goods so that doesn't happen very often. If I need to throw out anything, it would be things like cottage cheese and sour cream that sometimes don't get used fast enough, but that's not often. I don't have a lot of storage, so I don't tend to stock up on much....DH is the opposite, so I have to keep a sharp eye on him if he goes to the grocery store with me!

Honored Contributor

I am much better at not wasting food than I was pre-pandemic since I am almost always cooking dinner at home but 10% would be my best guess.   Instead of fresh produce I am buying Costco's frozen vegetables.  I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality.  It's rare that I buy much fruit or bread anymore.  

Respected Contributor

I watch alot of Utube and was suprised how young families shop especially with kids being home now. Some have meal plans, they write down their meals for the week & buy that amount. Others spend a whole day cooking & prep their meals for the freezer. They do buy snacks for the family but most eat very healthy. I try to eat the produce fast then by the end of the week use what I have in the pantry or freezer.