Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite state in the US?

@AuntG wrote:

When I read on these boards about what some people pay for car and homeowner's insurance, I'm glad I live in Wisconsin. Wondering if anyone will suggest North Carolina because some people I know think that would be a great place to retire.

@AuntG 

For your friends sake, suggest that they come on down and spend August & Sept here.  Many people have no idea what HEAT combined with High Humidity feels like, nor have they ever experienced a wild hurricane season, which is now officially June - October.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

Iowa!  It is beautiful here.  We have all four seasons, rolling hills, wide-open spaces, lush vegetation, and wonderful people.  

Trusted Contributor

Some things to consider when retiring are: proximity to health care and water.... I live in AZ and we are facing droughts which means we pay a high price for water.  Also as people age sadly we have more health problems usually.  AZ is a beautiful state but I wouldnt suggest retiring in the Phoenix area... the quality of the air can be bad and south of the city there can be vicious dust storms which impede travel to the Tucson area.... ever hear of a Haboob?  I live a couple hours north... and it is lovely... I can just forsee water problems.

Valued Contributor

West Michigan is  beautiful but it is cloudy A LOT.  Sun can start the day, gets cloudy and then at 5:30 pm it comes out again before sunset.  When it's a pretty day, everyone is excited.  People say to strangers "Isn't it a beautiful day?"   

I am retiring next year and if I could afford it I would do Florida 1/2 and Michigan 1/2.  Husband doesn't want Florida.  We're thinking NC  (sorry to the poster that says everyone is moving there).  I don't know for sure.  Our son lives in NC and the rest of the family is passed on.  No grandkids at this point.  

I love Florida - I really do.  The Ormond beach area is very nice and people are friendly.  

Son lived in Miami for 4 years - very fun to visit but no to living there.  

Like I said, Michigan is beautiful - some times Smiley Happy     (It seems when I work it's nice and when it's the weekend it's terrible).   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarthaStewardess 

I was born in New York City - and moved to southern Calif. when I was 25 yrs old - a long time ago. 20 yrs ago I visited Hawaii with my aunt - Maui and Honolulu -- and I found it to be very slow, boring and not much to do. I hired a cab to drive me around - and it's just open fields. Maybe I missed something.

Honored Contributor

My ❤️ will always be in NJ were I was born & raised.  Of course, all my family is still there -- beautiful beaches, farmland, produce & more.  

Honored Contributor

For instance, (I'm adding on), in a drive we had yesterday, I heard myself say, I have to live near trees and water.  It's like oxygen to me.  We grew up with it, and I'm so glad I can still have it.  Love the pine trees and all other trees we have.  That makes for our beautiful falls here.  So as you think about it, consider even these small things, ingrained into things you love around you.  

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't been east and born in Minnesota--too cold winters. Lived in Oregon and Utah in my early 20's. Now I am in California-southern part so I will stay at 81. Yes it is expensive-rent and houses. Gas for sure. But I will stay and die here.

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1 

Californians don't have to spend $$$$$$$$ on coats, warm clothes, boots, etc. My utility bills are LOW and my taxes are LOWER than most people pay across the country. I never put on the heat - and I don't have air conditioning. Don't have to drive in bad conditions, ie, snow, ice, storms, tornadoes. Don't have to shovel the snow from the driveway and wait for the streets to be cleared. I wear the same clothes all year long - I just put on a sweater or jacket.

Trusted Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

Ha I was going to say probably any one except my own which is NY.

I couldn't agree with you more.  To add:  New York USE to be a beautiful place to live, until it became what it is now.  Too blue - I'll leave it at that.