Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite state in the US?

@Chicagosuburbangirl 

No favorite state. All the ones I’ve been in are pretty special for their own reasons and I’m sure the ones I haven’t been to are special, too.

The best state to retire in depends on what you would like to do when you retire. 

Honored Contributor

I love the state I'm in. I have never wanted to leave. We have every beauty imaginable. Especially where I live now. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe - Yes, way too many people discovering the area. Too many homes being built in areas that have flooded many times in the last couple of years. Marsh areas are disappearing which creates more flooding. The river by me has flooded many areas.

In some areas on 95 between NC & SC there are towns that still haven't been repaired as well as people out of their homes.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Drythe - Yes, way too many people discovering the area. Too many homes being built in areas that have flooded many times in the last couple of years. Marsh areas are disappearing which creates more flooding. The river by me has flooded many areas.

In some areas on 95 between NC & SC there are towns that still haven't been repaired as well as people out of their homes.

@riley1 

I have close friends in Pembroke / Matthews.  ☹️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Well, if you're in Chicago, maybe you've visitied us here in MI.  If not, why not?  LOL You aren't going to want to miss this.  

Trusted Contributor

I haven't been to all the states, but for the ones I have visited, there is something beautiful/lovely in each one.  I love Alaska and Maine.  Any state that borders on the ocean is fine with me, but I also love the Mississippi River, so some of the Midwest is appealing to me.  Chicago is similar to a small town in many ways and the lake is beautiful.  However, for retirement, I'd like to find a place that has a change of seasons but isn't too extreme.  In many ways, where I live in NYS pretty much fits the bill.  Unfortunately, it's so darn expensive to live here I'm not sure if I'll stay.  

Honored Contributor

I believe every state in our great country has pros and cons.  I was born and raised and lived in Pennsylvania all my life and would never want to move to another state.  We have the four seasons of the year which are beautiful on their own.  Every time we have vacationed in other states, which we love to do, we are always anxious to come home.  Both DH and I  are retired and recently downsized to a smaller independent living home, and we love it.  We have all the size we want and need.  I say, bloom where you are planted.  That's always been my philosophy.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I have three or four favorites:

1.  California. I love La Jolla and North San Diego County. 

2.  Hawaii. I love Maui. It’s the most beautiful place on earth.

3.  Florida. I love South Florida.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was tempted to write my adopted state of Virginia, a place of so many beautiful memories for me, but my home state of Maryland tugged at my heart.  Sunshine45 sealed the deal.

MARYLAND, born and bred and still loving it. 

ETA:  I'm a Mid-Atlantic type.  After living in NYC and Miami, as well as Baltimore (and a fruitless attempt to live in Italy), I always returned to the Washington, D.C., area, which speaks to my nature.  

2nd ETA:  Because I've lived in Washington, D.C., itself during several different periods of my life, I left that out as a given.  It would not be fair not to name the place.  Maybe living in the D.C. suburbs for over four decades has led me to believe I really never left the city proper.  Anyway, I lived in D.C. itself a couple times.  Some happy, some not so happy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@jeanlake wrote:

Good and bad about all states. Also both beauty and eyesore in all states. I like the heartland attitude in the Midwest but really prefer varied geography so I'll go with North Carolina. Peidmont, coast, mountains. My parents/grandparents from NC so I've spent quite a bit of time there. The only thing I don't like is I'm more socially liberal than extended family in NC but that certainly does not represent all people in NC.

I could move to Maui tomorrow. Husband wouldn't go with me unless they have a professional sports team -- plus too far from family. Maybe I should have a second home there for six months out of the year -- a girl can dream. 

@jeanlake 

I come from a long line of liberals here, it can be lonely.

Asheville and Charlotte are liberal.  The taxes and high cost of living are what would make me choose somewhere else over North Carolina.