Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite state in the US?

We won’t be leaving the Northeast. As I posted before Massachusetts is my favorite state, but husband isn’t moving anywhere . That’s ok I guess because it is beautiful around here.

Honored Contributor

Tennessee- born and raised in the mountains of East Tennessee.. that's where my heart lies and I love going back.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I was born in Calif and love the California coast.  I currently live in Washington State and it is beautiful here also but neither are inexpensive.  I would not live anywhere it is humid in the summer or heavy snow in the winter.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chicagosuburbangirl   There are so many beautiful states but when you retire you really want something that is affordable.  I live outside of Chicago but it is expensive to retire in IL.  

Colorado is beautiful.  I call it God's country with all the beautiful mountains and it is four seasons but not as cold as IL.

Tennessee -  there are many beautiful areas around the mountains.  Depends on where you are in state, you can view the Appalachians or the Smokies.

California is beautiful (I lived there); however,  it is expensive to live there and they have too many natural disasters.  Earthquakes, mud slides, flooding, droughts quite often.  I wasw in the 7.1 earthquake and it is totally scary.  No thanks.

You need to think of what is important to you.  Low taxes or it doesn't matter, four seasons or warm year round, what area of the country do you want to live in?  Also, do you prefer a retirement village?  I live in an apt. so taxes are not involved but it is only for seniors and we look out for each.  Good luck with your search.  Let us know what area of the country you have decided on.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

MARYLAND......born, bred, raised.

we are called "america in miniature."

four distinct seasons

we have the mountains, the farmlands, the ocean, the bay, the big city, the suburbs.

we are close to major cities like DC and PHILADELPHIA.

if you are in the "middle" of maryland you can be in four states within an hour or so.......virginia, west virginia, delaware, pennsylvania, and DC.

lots of history here......quaint towns. big city feel without being TOO big.

birthplace of the star spangled banner

3.5 hours away from NYC.

good public transportation system, major airport, major railroad stop, universities with great reputations.

STEAMED CRABS, SOFT SHELL CRABS, OYSTERS, and CLAMS.....some of the best seafood on the east coast!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have a favorite state, but there are a few that I don't care for and quite a few that I really like to visit. I'm a Midwestern gal and have lived in Missouri for almost 40 years. DH and I are retired and we've chosen to stay here. The cost of living is so reasonable and we have wonderful universities and highly ranked hospitals here in St. Louis as well as Columbia and Kansas City. Missouri has flat farmland to the north, the Ozark mini-mountains in the southern part of the state, and bluffs galore in the central part. Both St. L and KC have many cultural activities including highly ranked symphonies. Our weather is right in the middle - very few extremes.  We're in the heartland of the country - a wonderful and very affordable place to live!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chicagosuburbangirl 

Born and still living in North Carolina.  I have lived elsewhere & traveled a good deal, but this is my home and I miss it when away too long.

Please, don’t move here!  We have been ranked the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd state for relocating for many years.  In 2018 over 97,000 people moved here.

We are seriously trying to maintain our green space, the National Seashore Parks, The Blue Ridge, and the wildlife, including the wild ponies on the Outerbanks.  Concrete apartment buildings are sprouting up everywhere, as are highways.  SAD.

Please, we’ve been discovered, give another state an opportunity.

An honest plea, with no ill will intended.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

What wonderful responses! Thank you for giving me so many details about your favorites.

Retirement is a ways off so we have some time.

I love how loyal Americans are to their hometowns.

Leaning towards Western Michigan or Eastern Tennessee right now, but this can change.

I love fall and would miss it so much. Tons of snow and a winter like our last, I could do without. Would like to see our funds go a little farther than what IL offers.

So many wonderful choices in our great country!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

MARYLAND......born, bred, raised.

we are called "america in miniature."

four distinct seasons

we have the mountains, the farmlands, the ocean, the bay, the big city, the suburbs.

we are close to major cities like DC and PHILADELPHIA.

if you are in the "middle" of maryland you can be in four states within an hour or so.......virginia, west virginia, delaware, pennsylvania, and DC.

lots of history here......quaint towns. big city feel without being TOO big.

birthplace of the star spangled banner

3.5 hours away from NYC.

good public transportation system, major airport, major railroad stop, universities with great reputations.

STEAMED CRABS, SOFT SHELL CRABS, OYSTERS, and CLAMS.....some of the best seafood on the east coast!

@sunshine45 

Lived for 5 years in Pocomoke City, and remember Chrisfield, and Princess Ann well.  Spent summers in Chincoteague, helped with the pony swim.  

Saw a HGTV episode filmed there a few nights ago, and WOW!  Would not have recognized it.

The ‘High Tiders’ are some of the kindest people, I’ve met.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Good and bad about all states. Also both beauty and eyesore in all states. I like the heartland attitude in the Midwest but really prefer varied geography so I'll go with North Carolina. Peidmont, coast, mountains. My parents/grandparents from NC so I've spent quite a bit of time there. The only thing I don't like is I'm more socially liberal than extended family in NC but that certainly does not represent all people in NC.

I could move to Maui tomorrow. Husband wouldn't go with me unless they have a professional sports team -- plus too far from family. Maybe I should have a second home there for six months out of the year -- a girl can dream. 

@jeanlake 

I come from a long line of liberals here, it can be lonely.