Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite state in the US?

When I read on these boards about what some people pay for car and homeowner's insurance, I'm glad I live in Wisconsin. Wondering if anyone will suggest North Carolina because some people I know think that would be a great place to retire.

Honored Contributor

It is a tie between New York and New Jersey. I love the seasons change and I love the easy access to beaches. Manhattan is like no other city in the world. The beautiful museums, the zoo, Central Park and the restaurants with just about any kind of food you could ask for, keep me happy. The shopping is great too.

I have been to many other states but nothing has ever compared to living here.....

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

California and Hawaii. 

I am a warm weather beach girl.

I will also add Alaska to the list.

Honored Contributor

Where I am right now, in the middle of the country-Nebraska.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

That's hard, @Chicagosuburbangirl, since I have so many of them.  Let's see.

My birthplace Arizona is one.  We didn't live there long, and I only returned to go to college, but still adore it.  The people, the landscape, the freewheeling West.  I like central and northern Arizona for the 4 season relief from sultry temperatures.  Prescott, Arizona almost looks like a New England town of old (has an historic courthouse square, etc.) and has an arty side, as well as gorgeous pine forests, granite dells and rolling hills.  Has grown explosively though in recent years.

Nebraska.  I love the midwestern plains, feel very in sync with them and find beauty there.  Again, the people tend to "make" or break a place for me!  But of course the weather can be rugged.

Idaho.  Natural beauty, livable towns, lots of charm.  I wonder if it's in danger of growing too fast? 

I like college towns for the culture, restaurants, galleries etc., (although not the deadening political correctness that so many campuses espouse-- that's a big minus for me).  But places like Ithaca, New York, Ann Arbor, Michigan, Oxford, Mississippi would be on my radar.  Even trendy Austin, Texas.  So much to do.

Living for years in a sky-high-tax, ultra-regulated Eastern state has made me very wary of those environments, and all other things being equal, would try not to choose them if possible.

Oh, I like the area around colonial Williamsburg, Virginia.  Slower pace, yet cultural opportunities, history and architecture, fun things to do, easy access to metropolitan environments... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of  course MA, my home state, is my favorite state.  There is no better place to live and raise a family.  Whatever you want in life, you can find it in MA.  However, if you are talking about places to retire to, my vote goes to HI.  If it were not so far away or if my daughters and my sisters would relocate with us....HI would be where we would retire.  We have vacationed in Honolulu twice, we never made it to any of  the other islands.  It was always "next time" and "next time" hasn't come yet.    For me, HI is heaven on earth.  The weather, the beaches, that sweet smell of flowers, the flowers!   The people, the relaxed attitudes.  Granted, we were there vacation but I think we'd find a peace and calmness there that we would not find anywhere else.  I would never live very far away from my daughters and grandchildren but we've already decided that when we do retire, we will spend the coldest winter months, January through March,  some place where it is warm and sunny.   

Honored Contributor

Auntg........I did recommend North Carolina....lived there for six years and loved it.  Four seasons......ocean to east..mountains to the west!  I would move back but none of our kids live there.  It would just be a temporary move until getting "older" one day and needing more help, etc.  Still have friends there and have considered it.  Host Carolyn Gracie's parents live in NC.  I know the area they are in  .....very nice.   Still tempting to return.  

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

When I read on these boards about what some people pay for car and homeowner's insurance, I'm glad I live in Wisconsin. Wondering if anyone will suggest North Carolina because some people I know think that would be a great place to retire.

Is car and homeowner insurance free in WI ????

Valued Contributor

@RedTop  Years ago I lived in West Virginia (White Sulphur Springs) for a brief period while my spouse was working on a construction project.  I have fond memories of that time.  I had a target set up in the yard to practice my archery hobby, and it was not unusual to find a horse tied up to one of the trees in the yard when a neighbor dropped in for a visit.  I don't think I could retire there though because I'm not used to driving in the mountains anymore.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

it is not utah. i hate this state.no the state but what the elected leaders have done to it

i would leave in a HEARTBEAT if i had somewhere to go.  they are overpricng homes.

rents are $1200.00 a month.