Trusted Contributor

What is your favorite state in the US?

[ Edited ]

And why?

Dreaming of retirement and looking for inspiration and suggestions from all of you.

Also, if you want to brag on your state because you love it, I want to hear that too!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is your favorite state in the US?

I am a NY city native that lives in central NJ. I love my home towns but, I love the state of California. My in- laws live in  San Diego which is beautiful. The climate is for the most part in the 70's with very little rain, all you will need is a light jacket to take you though the winter. Very beautiful also is the state of Montana we visit there a lot  to see friends and family. I hope you enjoy your retirement with good health. 

Honored Contributor

I live in and love New York State . Whenever I travel , I appreciate the beauty and features of other states, but my state is beautiful, all four seasons. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl  After living most of my life in the NYC area and the past 15 years in Henderson, NV, believe it or not, for retirement, IL!!!  We're living in downtown Chicago and love it.  No car, walking distance of everything.  

Other states I love -  HI, CA -- but for retirement way too expensive.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1  Agree -- upstate NY is stunning.  For retirement though I'm not too sure unless one likes snow and cold.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

#1...Michigan!   Lakes, boats, many beautiful and fun (Mackinac Island) places to visit.....cottage on a lake.....summer memories...great!  Retirement? Western side.....Grand Rapids area ....great city....not too big...not small....offers a lot of things to do....you just have to survive winter!  

#2.....Followed by North Carolina/South Carolina for all around weather....still has change of seasons ....winter comes but doesn't last as long as in the north.

#3....Others......Wyoming and Montana.....breathtaking mountains.  Relaxing!

AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL!  Each state has something special...friendly people...hard to pick a favorite.....get an RV and travel(?).

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@QVCkitty1  Agree -- upstate NY is stunning.  For retirement though I'm not too sure unless one likes snow and cold.

@kaydee50 , In my area winter isn’t too severe, and since I can’t take the heat, I’ll put up with some snow.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@kaydee50 , In my area winter isn’t too severe, and since I can’t take the heat, I’ll put up with some snow.

I agree I am form upstate NY. It is beautiful but the weather not so much. Also the taxes are off the charts. Retired to North Ga after living in many states. My husband is retired Navy. North West Ga was a pleasant surprise and we also have all 4 Seasons with an occasional snowfall which is perfect. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Massachusetts.  Edited to add. This is my favorite state. I’m not saying it’s for retirement for people. 

Trusted Contributor

Loving all the thoughtful replies!!!!