Honored Contributor

Re: What is your earliest memory?

@dulwich wrote:

I grew up during the war in London and my earliest memory is my blue ‘siren suit’ what we would now call a jumpsuit.

I was around 4 years and my Mum bought my sister and I these suits which we literally jumped into when the war siren went off - always at night - then the three of us would run down to the air raid shelter.  Dad away in Army.  They kept us warm.

I can see it now,  bright blue, collar, long sleeves tie around waist, Down to ankles- my sister’s was red.  Came out of shelter one a.m. house bombed, gone then we lived in our siren suits! and were grateful.

Wow, @dulwich .  It's hard to imagine the horror.  And we're still having wars. When will we ever learn?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat  It is funny to think now but to me as a kid then everything was fun!  Can clearly remember my Mum with her broad Irish accent urging us to the shelter saying Run me darlings run - and off we’d run holding hands.

To us as kids all was fun but imagine being a mother in those circumstances.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich

Not to diminish what you and your sister went through, but my first thought was how horrible that must have been for your mom.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I was a few months old and remember looking up at bright orange and red plaid colors and feeling so woozy and very very hot.  My mom told me I was in my carriage at the beach and I was remembering looking up at the hood of the carriage on a very bright sunny day.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

My earliest memory was before I turned 3, sitting on one of 3 or 4 bar stools in the kitchen.  The stools were connected to the floor and were shiny with orange vinyl seats. 

Another memory is of our pediatrician being called to the house because my younger brother was sick and couldn't breathe.  I remember the Dr bursting through the front door, scrambling up our staircase, his long, skinny legs taking 2 steps at a time, carrying his black bag.  I peaked into the bedroom and saw the Dr. holding my brother up by one arm and using his hand to hit my brother in the back to get him breathing again.  Then my brother started crying. I can still see his small face with tears and nose running, crying.  

I also remember the morning my brother passed away.  He died in his sleep at 28 months old (congenital heart defect).  I'd just turned 4. I remember waking up and going down the steps in the dark (January).  I peaked around the edge of the bannister.  Light was coming from the kitchen, everything else was dark.  Our parish priest was sitting at the head of the table. Mom, Dad and Grandma were sitting there, too.  They were talking very low, couldn't hear their words.  But I remember clearly thinking, "This is important.  I'd better not interrupt them."  And I went back upstairs.  

Honored Contributor

@Kalli-

Oh that is so sad! It must have been so sad esp for your parents and grandmother.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Kalli-

Oh that is so sad! It must have been so sad esp for your parents and grandmother.

Thanks, @on the bay, I was too young at that time to comprehend everything that had happened.  As I got older I came to understand how difficult that time had been for Mom and Dad.  And when I became a mom myself, I realized the absolute grief my parents must've felt losing a child. 

Honored Contributor

I remember being in the crib and I was mad about that.  I was holding a milk bottle so I was maybe 3 or 4.  I remember more vividly when I was in Kindergarten and remember the dress my one friend was wearing -- the color, the design.  I guess you are 6 years old at that time.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have shared many of my earliest memories with mom, who cannot believe I could possibly remember details from around 2 years old.  

I really shocked her by describing a house we visited with a distinct smell; that person died when I was 22 months old, and the smell was pickling brine.   

Respected Contributor

I was at the Pediatrician's, crying because I figured I'd be getting a shot.  He gave me a roll of tape to play with, and I rolled it right off the examining table.  I must've been two or three.