Frequent Contributor

Re: What is your earliest memory?

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I remember everything about the house I lived in from the the time I was 3 months old until my Dad sold the house (it's still there) when I was 13.

I'm sure it's been changed somewhat.  The basement is now finished off, more bathrooms added, but it was a townhouse so not a lot could be done.  We called them row houses back then.

My Aunt, grandmother and father raised me.  My aunt made all of her amazing cakes from scratch.  She crocheted all of the time.

I remember a lot about growing up.  It wasn't easy but it was all I knew.  I survived a difficult childhood.  So did my late husband....that's what we initially bonded over.

I believe you.  I distinctly remember reading a similar discussion somewhere on the boards a long, long time ago and one of the forum members called someone a liar stating that it was impossible to have such memories and it was all made up in her mind. @Annabellethecat66

Honored Contributor

My two earliest memories are:

Having  sand thrown into my eyes while playing in a sand box  at some neighbors house...I remember stinging  eyes and  crying. 

Being in my backyard on on a sunny day on the grass....trying to catch bumble bees with a cup or such. Putting the cup over the bee....When I peeked under the cup to see the bee... the bee flew out stung my thumb. Pain, crying....

theses two incidents happened when I was about Two...two and a half.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I think it probably isn't true because I would have been in my twos. Yet it's always the first memory I come back to. Anyway, it has to do with me being told that people would be sad at my grandma's funeral and that I needed to sit quietly and not talk. 

Honored Contributor

oh golly, I was maybe 3 yrs old or so. Living in my old house, 6 people with one bathroom and a few of us got some kind of bug and we had to keep using the bathroom. I have other memories from when i was young, the time I cute my hair myself. That was a site to see LOL.

Trusted Contributor

I was about 15 months old, I couldn’t talk, but I understood everything.i was in a stroller on the beach with my parents, and the sky became very dark. I remember my dad yelling at my mom to hurry up packing because  there was going to be a strong rainstorm.  I felt myself being wheeled under the boardwalk and rushed into the car. Then I heard my dad say , we made it!  

Respected Contributor

My earliest memory was sitting on my Great Aunt's Couch and I couldn't sit up by my self and  my Great Aunt proped me up with pillows from the couch and I had on a Plum Colored Snowsuit and I didn't want to smile because I had no teeth and I felt ugly. And another was around 4 or 5 months old.  I crawled under her bed and I hated it because dust went up my nose. Same day and same Great-Aunt.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember that my dad used to wake up early to go to work as a butcher he used to play peek-a-boo with me until he had to leave for the day. I remember also that he used to put me back down to sleep with my bottle it was about 6 in the morning when he had to leave. I could not have been more then 2 years old at the time.

Respected Contributor

I grew up during the war in London and my earliest memory is my blue ‘siren suit’ what we would now call a jumpsuit.

I was around 4 years and my Mum bought my sister and I these suits which we literally jumped into when the war siren went off - always at night - then the three of us would run down to the air raid shelter.  Dad away in Army.  They kept us warm.

I can see it now,  bright blue, collar, long sleeves tie around waist, Down to ankles- my sister’s was red.  Came out of shelter one a.m. house bombed, gone then we lived in our siren suits! and were grateful.

Frequent Contributor

I remember my mom putting me on a comfy chair in the livingroom and telling me not to move while she tended to something (have no idea what that was) and she had left the tv on.  There was a show about a missing boy and not knowing anything about this talking box she put me in front of, I was mesmerized and frightened.  When she came back she realized I was being adversely affected and turned it off which caused me more angst because I never knew if the boy was found.  Never knew if it was a real story or a made up show.  I didn't have the verbal skills to inquire.  Don't think I was really talking or saying much at that age.  My sense of security was rattled to the bone.  

Honored Contributor

I was age 4, 1958. Now 64. I was scheduled to have eye surgery. A few days before went to the hospital and a nurse was explaining everything to us. Remember the day before surgery going to the hospital- remembering the admitting process, going to the room and told to put hospital gown on. Morning of surgery, nurse carried me to the operating room and allowed Mom to follow us to the elevator. Remember the smell of the operating room and being cold. Nurse said if I was good would get I cream. Told I would go to sleep and mask put over my face. Woke up with bandages on both eyes and hands tied down. Uncle provided all the ice cream that I wanted when I got home.Never received any ice cream in the hospital as promised. Remember trying to walk in the house at home and finally learned how to touch everything while walking. Mom said that I would fall down, giggle and get back up.

Southern Bee