Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is your earliest memory?

My earliest vivid memory is at 18 months. I was in the crib and my brother (4) and sister (2) were all excited. They wanted to go out to play in the hurricane. (Hazel) I wanted to, also. I remember seeing some of the commotion of the winds & rain out the windows.

I remember moving into the new house around the same age. The living room was so big!

Sometimes I get a faint, fleeting memory of actually being inside my mother's womb.

Honored Contributor

I can pinpoint a couple of mine by date.

One was being terrified by 4th of July fireworks a few weeks before I turned 3.

Another was sitting with my mother in our living room, listening to Uncle Don on the radio and waiting for my dad to come home from work. We had a burgundy colored couch made of picky upholstery fabric.

A third, the geography of that house, playing on the enclosed front porch and rabbit hutches in the back yard. My dad worked shifts during WW2, and men in those jobs were “supposed” to eat meat because the work was so taxing. 

Meat at the butcher shops was scarce and pricey, so rabbit it was.

Although I remember a whole lot about that I sure wish I could remember where I put my car keys yesterday.........

Honored Contributor

Good grief.............I have to use a "day planner" to remember what I did yesterday.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always thought it was a dream but according to my mom, it was a true memory.  Even the details and I was around 2 years old, which she judges from cat.  The cat in my dream passed away  before my brother was born, her second child, 2 years after me.

We are in a small room, like a den or family room.  My mom and I are sitting on a stuffed couch that has a crochet or knit throw on it.  My mom is watching  a black and white screen tv.  The tv is one of those big wood console type tv's, I remember the atenna.  There are lace curtains at the window, it's night time.  I am on the couch with my head in my mother's lap.  There is a big orange and white cat rolled up, sleeping in the corner of the room.  I said something to my mom about the cat, I don't remember what but I remember her saying  "let her sleep, she'll play tomorrow".

Regular Contributor

My first memory was a new pair of red shoes at about 3 years old.  I have been buying red shoes ever since.

Honored Contributor

I think it was stealing my brother's baby bottle. I was a toddler, and he was propped on the bed ,with a bottle.

He started to cry, and mama came to see, and laughed ,and told me, I mustn't do this to him. We are 1 year apart. I think I was about 18 months

I don't know why I remember this ,of all things , but, I do

Respected Contributor

I was still in my crib at my grandparents place.  I was angry that everybody was downstairs having a party because my uncle was home from the war so I started to scratch or color on the wall above my crib.  When my mom came in to check on me, she was followed by my aunt, her sister.

Many years later, my mom was amazed at the details of what I remembered....they were exactly as I described them, never having heard the story before.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01

We could have been sisters !  Same situation !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I remember walking down our front sidewalk with my grandfather (Poppy). I must have been about 15 months old because he was holding my hand to steady me. I was wearing a white dress and he wore gray slacks and a white dress shirt. He would have been about 83 years old then, so we were the oldest and youngest members of the family. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat  I was around 3 yrs old.  I remember sitting on the floor of my Great Grandparents living room playing with a beautiful red barn my great grandpa made for me to put my plastic horses in.  I was horse crazy even at that age.  I still have that red barn,