Honored Contributor

What is your earliest memory?

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 8.19.30 PM.png

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: What is your earliest memory?

About 3 years ago, I asked my aunt about the kitchen of the house I lived in until I was three.  I perfectly described the kitchen in detail to her.  Neither of my parents are living.  It was from the perspective of sitting in a high chair. 

I have always been highly visual.

Honored Contributor

In my earliest memory, I was in my crib. My mom was taking my stuffed animal because it was dirty and she had to wash it. She was trying to convince me to accept a different one, but I wasn't buying it, lol.  I remember being very upset about it. I must've been less than two years old.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I was an early talker.  My mother said I was talking at around 15 months old.  I can remember back to around that time...I think because I was speaking, I had a way of remembering.

I remember going into an electrical store with my parents.  The owner asked my mother my name, and I told him.  He was amazed that I could talk and gave me a ceramic bunny night light.  I loved that bunny and used it for years.

i also remember sleeping in a crib in my parents bedroom.  I could reach a dresser where my father had a cigar humidor and matches.  I remember eating the tops off of the matches until I got caught and things were moved out of my reach.

I was 23 months when my brother was born.  I remember staying with my aunt for a few days.  An airplane flew over her house while I was sitting in a high chair and it was loud.  I remember how frightened I was was.  I also remember a secret hiding place in the eves in my aunts attic.  She had antique dolls in there.

As an adult, I mentioned that hiding place and she was shocked.  She also verified that a plane flew over her house and screamed and cried and would not calm down when I stayed at her house.  I was only her her attic that one time.

I remember a lot of things that happened when I was preschool aged. My family has always said that I was gifted.  I have a memory like a trap.  

I can fill out a seating chart of all the children I went to school with from first to eighth grade.

Too bad most of what I remember is not useful, and my husband hates it.  He wishes I would forget a lot of things.

Honored Contributor

The earliest memory I can verify is when I started Kindergarten, so I guess I was about 5 years old.

Super Contributor

I believe as an infant. I remember crawling on the floor in the hallway of my house and beside me was another baby crawling with me and we were laughing. I think I was so happy to have a playmate my age, someone just like me.

Respected Contributor

It was in the bathroom of the house we moved from when I was about 3.  I guess I was constipated, though i only remember my mom & my aunt decided that they needed to give me an enema & I was having none of it & threw a conniption fit, screaming, crying & fighting them every step of the way.  Not sure if I'd had an enema before that & didn't want another one or what, but I guess it was traumatic to my little self. They finally decided it was more trouble than it was worth, I guess & gave up & let me go on my way!  I lived to tell, 65 or so years later!  lol   ( I still don't think I've ever had an enema! )

Frequent Contributor

Another one here where my earliest memory was kindergarten, the first day to be exact. Both my parents worked, so I had to walk to school on my own. My mom drilled me that morning on what to do and the proper way to cross streets, she said if I had any problems to ask someone; she actually may have did a dry run with me but I don't have any memory of that (this was way back in the 60's 😲). I remember waiting at the stoplight for it to change to green, got to school and had no idea where my class was, so I did what my mom said and asked someone, an older student walked by me and I asked "do you know where my room is?".  She was sweet and did find which room I was supposed to be in 😁.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think 4 or 5 years old....there are alot of things that I remember happening then.....Kindergarten....Christmas....

Respected Contributor

I also recalled the taking away the teddy bears to wash. One's name was Brownie, a brown bear. I also had a Panda. In the days before dryers I recall my Mother putting them in a warm oven to try and dry them. I remember looking in the oven at my bears.

I am an only child and recall looking out my bedroom window feeling lonely and wanting someone to play with. I was under four years old in that house.