Super Contributor

What is the best type of shoes for Treadmill?

Just joined a gym and started walking on treadmill. My sneakers are very old, and need to buy a new pair. Any suggestions? Something good for treadmill. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: What is the best type of shoes for Treadmill?

@qvc chick

Will you be walking only or doing some running too?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got a pair of Ryka walking sneakers from QVC that I use on my treadmill. They are very lightweight and very comfortable. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVC chick

I have run over 20,000 miles on treadmills over the years, and probably walked over 5,000 miles. While there CAN BE less impact running on a treadmill versus any type of pavement? The Primary goal for any shoe is that it fits and supports YOUR TYPE OF FOOT.

Brands make no difference if the shoe is not suited for your particular feet. I could go into a whole dictionary sized explanation of how to go about this, but I will spare you.

If you are not going to be RUNNING on the treadmill, you do not require the same type of shoe as you would for walking. I will say only this. Make sure when you buy the shoes you do it late in the day. Your feet expand and what may feel right in the morning? Might be way to tight later in the day.

Take a pair of the same type of socks you plan on using for your treadmill exercising. Good fitting athletic shoes DO NOT need to be broken in, they should be comfortable the first time you try them on and walk in them.

Do not shop by brand name. Find a well known shoe manufacturer and the shoe that feels best on YOUR FEET,not your friends or what feels good to others.

Enjoy your time on the treadmill.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

a cross trainer with good support