Honored Contributor

Re: What is something you ate or did as a child with no regrets....

@spumoni99  I do remember The Zoo😄

Honored Contributor

@nova wrote:

@SeaMaiden   What a great topic!  One of my fondest memories was the sheer delight I would have when my father would bring me home a delicious jelly donut after he worked the night shift.  I would get up in the morning and find my donut.  He knew I loved them and made a special trip to the bakery to get me one after working a long shift.  He was a wonderful father that I miss very much.  I hardly ever eat desserts now and this is a memory I'll always treasure!

@nova  What a lovely memory you have!  My Dad would take us to See's candy on Sunday after church....we could have any special treat we desired! And the best part was when the clerk would give us a free sample of the candy of the day out of the case....🙂

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Spent my first 61 years in So. Cal. and we loved Farrell's. Took DS and 3 friends there for his 9th birthday. They all ordered and ate some great big creation called a Trough! They all finished it and got a big button that said "I made a pig of myself at Farrell's".  

They wore them proudly. But hey they were 9 year old boys! DH and I settled for banana splits.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The grade  school I attended  designated two sides of the  back parking lot as a playground . Girls on one side  mostly played  jump rope,  or play jacks . Well, I wasn't very skilled at either of those games, so I would sneak over to the boys side and play monster tag ! It was so fun even though I skinned my knee many times from being tackled. I had many  guy friends and other Tom girls like myself. I would get in trouble with the nuns if they caught me playing on the boys side , but it was so worth the fun.

For me ,  red candy apples  since I first had one  on the boardwalk in Atlantic City . I look for carnivals/ fairs  all summer and fall   so I can to buy those apples !

Respected Contributor

Not as a child but as a teenager: hitch hiking. I got lucky in that nothing bad ever happened to me (but one ride came close and I jumped out of the car).

It horrifies me to realize how much trouble I could have gotten into and if my teenaged child did it and I found out about it...first, I'd have a heart attack and then I would cry and bawl and ask my child to never do that again.

Honored Contributor

The only thing I can think of is I had a Wendy's triple cheeseburger once.  I still like a high meat to bun ratio, but 3 patties would really be too much for me today.  I usually just get a single now, although I would do the double stack if I didn't have to get the Biggie meal or pay more for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Texas Gray Wolf 

When I first started roller skating, I wore my mothers white leather boot skates with the hard surface wheels.  

When the rink owner redid the floor, I had to choose between replacing the wheels or renting skates each week.  New wheels didn't fit the skates, so I bought a new pair of skates from Sears for $25.  Loved wearing those new skates and definitely got my monies worth many times over!

As for the original question, I'm quite content to still have the attitude there's no food or treat that's off limits for me.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Ate as a child and wouldn't eat today?  Easy asnwer!

Purina Dog Chow.  On a dare.  Hard as a rock and didn't taste like much. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Texas Gray Wolf wrote:

I loved roller skating.....white boots/metal wheels on the skates.....on a wooden floor at the skating rink.

And, @Texas Gray Wolf, were you too cool for school with pom poms on your skates....like me. LOL!!! I thought I was really somebody when I got those pom poms. Woman LOL

Vintage Goodness 1.0: I found some vintage roller skates - and I'm still in  one piece!

Honored Contributor

I remember Farrell's! One  of my favorite thing to do in the jr. high years was rollerskating. Our neighbor owned a roller skating rink though we never got in free. He did do a discount night. It was just the place to be. So funny to think about now. I recall my neighbor's date found out she did a couple's skate with a guy and had a fit. It was all very innocent.