Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is something you ate or did as a child with no regrets....

As an occasional treat, my dad and I would eat pickled pigs feet.  Gee, I don't think I'd go near them nowadays.  

Respected Contributor

My mom had a jar of pickled pigs feet on the counter sometimes, I can't remember if I tried them or not.  My dad liked the smoked oysters, I still don't mind those, they do look pretty gross though.

A bit of trivia in my town a plane crashed into one of the Farrells ice cream parlors during an air show, several people died, that Farrells never repopened and that may have lead to the closing of Farrells in general, not sure.

Honored Contributor

I ate what I wanted as far as sweets.  There was a freezer of ice cream and usually a homemade pie or pound cake on the counter, although, I preferred frosted layer cakes.

Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I think I used to eat bologna sandwiches with ketchup on them.  Sounds gross to me today.

Same here but mine was mustard.  Also for afternoon snacks while watching I Love Lucy and ****** Van ****** I ate Lay's potato chips, onion and mustard sandwiches.  They were so good.  Of course there was no whole wheat of any kind in our home, white bread all the way.  Bread, bread, and more bread.

@beckyb1012    Not sure if it was a Pittsburgh thing....but we ate a lot of fried bologna sandwiches with mustard.....of course on white bread.   We also had chipped ham sandwiches.  I really can't eat either of them today.  

Respected Contributor

I skinny dipped once. 17 years old at the time.  

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

As an occasional treat, my dad and I would eat pickled pigs feet.  Gee, I don't think I'd go near them nowadays.  

My dad too and I did as well.  Not any more do I think I could do that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Citrine1@Roscoe the Rascal   What a coincidence! When I was about 4 or 5 years old, I would also eat pickled pigs feet with my father. My mother

didn't share that with us. I don't blame her. Now, I would not even want to look at them, nevermind eat them.

One thing I loved to do after shool, was to roller skate up and down the side walk for hours. They were the skates with metal wheels and attached to my shoes. There was a metal key to tighten them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Citrine1@Roscoe the Rascal   What a coincidence! When I was about 4 or 5 years old, I would also eat pickled pigs feet with my father. My mother

didn't share that with us. I don't blame her. Now, I would not even want to look at them, nevermind eat them.

One thing I loved to do after shool, was to roller skate up and down the side walk for hours. They were the skates with metal wheels and attached to my shoes. There was a metal key to tighten them.

@Enufstuff wrote:

My sister and I would wear the roller skates and a key around our necks. Yes,  they were attached to our shoes too.  Then we got white indoor boot skates with a big pom pom.

Frequent Contributor

@SeaMaiden  It tickles me that you brought up Farrell's.  As a kid, I went to one a couple of times in the Towne East Mall in Wichita, Kansas.  I hadn't thought of that place in years.  Thank you for the reminder.

One thing I ate as a kid... pickle and pimento loaf lunch meat.  My dad liked it, so I ended up eating it too.  I thought it was amazing.  I remember the sack lunches I'd pack for school with one of those sandwiches in it and a chocolate pudding in the pop-top metal can.  I don't know if Oscar Mayer still manufactures that stuff, but you couldn't pay me to eat it now.  

Frequent Contributor

Not as a child but as an older teen often stopped with my friend late at night at Denny's and had a Banana Royale sundae (banana, vanilla ice cream, hot fudge syrup, whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on top)

Janet in Georgia