Honored Contributor

Re: What is one gift now you wouldn't give as a wedding gift?

@wildcat fan wrote:

Several years ago a co-worker had a set of knives on her bridal gift registry.  I bought it for her, but later had people tell me it's bad luck to give knives as a wedding gift.  I'd never heard of that, but didn't think much of it since she did ask for these knives in her registry.  The marriage lasted less than a year!  I'm sure there were many factors contributing to that breakup, but I sometimes wonder if the old superstition had something to do with it.  Did I jinx them?  Who knows, but I won't be testing it on another couple, that's for sure! 

@wildcat fan***I've never heard that.  I've known many couples who got steak knives and loved them.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I had one thought, but nixed that, when I read another group of postings. Something I had no idea on, since it wasn't my point of view. So not having been to a wedding in some time, what gifts are now given to newly married couples. (Not counting money.) Actual gifts. Are those even given now?

What did you buy that you are not going to give?

Trusted Contributor

I don't just buy any gift.  If the couple has a registry, I will purchase something from that.  If they do not have a registry, I give cash.

Honored Contributor

I love to pick something from their registry if they have one. If not, or if the items are waaay over my price range, I give a check. The amount depends on how well I know the couple. I do not give money to casual friends or children of people I hardly know.

Honored Contributor

Don't mean to be rude but IMO you can't jinx a marriage by the gift you give, especially when it was something requested! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I select something from their registry or I give money. 

Honored Contributor

I stick to the registry. I don't like to give cash. 

Honored Contributor

A toaster

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

An iron (unless it's on their registry).  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RainyDayGal, I'd have to look back, that was yesterday, and I'm on my 1st cup of coffee.

I guess money or something on the register would be best though. So I'll go with that.