Honored Contributor

Re: What is a good house warming gift

[ Edited ]

@TaylorBrown wrote:

Young or old, rich or poor a person has to eat.  Maybe a gift card to a restuarant that you know they like.  You could take them to dinner to celebrate but then they may feel like they have to entertain you.  With a gift card they can go at their own convenience.

That's my feeling exactly!  My rule is NOTHING they have to dust or display or find a place for!  Most people have enough stuff.  I think a gift card for a restaunt is brilliant.  Maybe some nice tea and coffee (if you know what kind of coffee maker they have), and some bakery items along with a new set of dishtowels and cloths in a cute gift bag.  Gourmet popcorn set?  Summer is around the corner, so if they are tea drinkers how about some good iced teas they can easily brew up.  

Honored Contributor

Great, thank you.

Three items I see that would be good for them.

Door mat, saw cute ones, plant, Certificate to bed, bath and beyond. 

That or those type of things, would work for them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the flameless candle idea.  Also, when my SIL and BIL retired to the beach, I got them a beautiful beachy door wreath.  It was a little expensive and something that they would not have spent the money on.  Also, the Q just had an initialed outside door mat on yesterday.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I would not buy anything for decorating or anything like a plant. New house you like to pick your own decor. Does the house have anything they will be fixing up? Maybe a gift card to home depot if they will be painting of anything. Or what about a gift card to a place like pottery barn where they can pick their own decor out. Everyone has different taste. I wouldn't want to spend money on something they don't like.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

For me it depends on where the couple is in their lives.

Young couple, new home and not a lot of money it much easier to buy for than older couple going into a downsized retirement place.

Young and 'poor'....a laundry basket or hamper full of household supplies (paper towels, TP, laundry items, kitchen supplies like dish soap, cleansers, etc.) A lot of times young couples are overwhelmed with all the expense of a new home and the basics like this along with a gift card to Walmart or other type store to stock up on necessities is a most useful gift.

Not so young or not so 'poor'...try to understand if they need and want any 'things' or not. Many people are at a place where they don't want any new things but are paring down or want only certain things in their decor now.

For those that you can't get much of a grasp on just where they are in life or what they want, there are a few generic things like an ivory flameless candle, a nice fresh arrangement of flowers or a houseplant, or even this time of year, a nice planter filled with plants for the front porch.

A lot of people suggest a bottle of wine, but make sure they drink first. People often gift us wine and we don't drink it.

I love these ideas, @Mominohio.

Respected Contributor

If you know their color schemes, give a set of bath towels, hand towels & face cloths.  Or some pretty fingertip towels and luxury soaps for the guest bathroom.  

Honored Contributor

It really depends on the person, there's no one-size-fits-all with house warming gifts.  It also depends on your budget.  But don't buy candles.  Candles are the lazy woman's gift that shout  "I didn't put any thought into this gift, I just grabbed this candle".  I like to give something that lasts.  We sent to a house warming last June and I gave two flowering plants that I got from QVC for myself.  But I remembered the house warming and how much my friend loves plants and flowers and pink is her favorite color...so....the decision was made.  Another friend gave her two gorgeus ceramic flower pots.  Our friend who lives on tight budget brought brought three loaves of homemade banana bread that she wrapped up beautifully in a decorated basket.  She lined the basket with dish towels from the Dollar Store.  It was an impressive looking gift and it didn't cost much at all.  And her banana bread is fabulous.    In the past we have given a nice bottle of wine to friends who are wine lovers and collectors.  Like I said depends on your budget first and then what you think the person would like. 

Honored Contributor

The favorite gifts I've given have been a beautiful set of monogrammed towels, a year of seasonal holiday flags, tart warmer and assortment of tarts, and flameless candles.    

Respected Contributor

I recently gave a house warming gift. I made a beautiful basket with coffee, wine, cheese, crackers, fruit and cookies..(.all gourmet )

Honored Contributor

we have given gift certificates to eating establishments that are local to where the new house is.

we also have given burn candles (the large one) or the battery run candles

gifts to grocery stores where the house is located. setting up a new house is expensive.