Honored Contributor

What have you done for someone recently?

Is there a neighbor, a friend, or a family member who could use your help in some way? I know you are busy. It Most people who need help or would love to have someone spend time with them are unlikely to ask for it. We have an elderly widow across the street from us. No family nearby, I have asked her to open her front window blinds each morning so I know she is up and okay. Close them when she goes to bed. So far, she has never forgotten to open those blinds! I think she loves knowing someone is checking on her with this little gesture. 

Who could you show some kindness to this week?

Honored Contributor

Re: What have you done for someone recently?

I coordinate my mother, sister, niece, nephew from afar.  My sister is in a nursing home.  I am her conservator and keep track of everything related to her.  She has two teenagers.  They live with their father, but I keep up on them. 

Mother lives alone.  I call her at the same time everyday.  I coordinate everything for her.  I expected to do some of these things as it is my mother, but I hadn't anticipated my sister not being able to help.  You do what you have to do.

It's great to help elderly neighbors.  The neighbors around me are younger with small kids.  I do watch when the kids are outside and I hear or see a car coming.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a friend whose BFF from childhood is in the hospital fighting for her life.The poor woman had a heart attack & fell down a flight of stairs.She sustained a concussion & broke several ribs.While being transported to the hospital she then had a stroke!! She was in a coma for about 5 weeks.

My friend is beside herself.She’s been running to the hospital every day for the last 7 weeks. I call or text her everyday to give her support.I took her to breakfast the other day.She told me this afternoon that I was the only one of all of her friends that care.She said that I’ve given her the strength to keep it together.

Edited to correct spelling

Honored Contributor

I do plenty but prefer not to "toot my own horn" as they say.

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like threads like this because it gives me ideas.

This one is about what someone else does. A woman at church can’t do much as far as driving or getting out and about. She uses a walker and depends on others for help with transportation. She keeps a calendar of her neighbors’ and church members’ birthdays, anniversaries, etc., and sends cards. A lot. They are so appreciated. 

Little things are sometimes as important as the big things.

I hope more posters join in!

Honored Contributor

Like @ID2   When I do kind things for others, I don't announce it to anyone.  Good deeds are just a part of life like brushing your teeth. 

Honored Contributor

Knowing a snowstorm (followed by an Artic blast) was coming, we took our elderly neighbor to the library, bank and grocery store. 

Valued Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Knowing a snowstorm (followed by an Artic blast) was coming, we took our elderly neighbor to the library, bank and grocery store. 

The library especially is a smart idea. We are done with the snow for now, but the Arctic blast continues!

Respected Contributor

I take a family to the store when they need a ride. They have an unreliable car amoung three adults. I am going for a haircut and driving 15 min. one way at 7 am tomorrow to pick her up so she can go with me for a hair cut. I wasn't too happy about the early hour  in bitter wind chill  with schools still closed.For her to get in we have to be there at 8 am I have a monthy standing  appt. at 9 am. She offers to pay me gas money but I always refuse. 

Esteemed Contributor

When the weather isn’t frigid I put all my neighbors papers on their porches. I also do all the neighbors garbage cans also. All my neighbors are very elderly and I know they appreciate it.