Honored Contributor

What have you cut out of your life since inflation etc has affected our lives?

[ Edited ]

So far, I really have not cut back at all. Never really lived extravagant... and always use common sense...

I am just continuing with my same purchases. Yes, prices on some items have jumped by the dollars...but it is not really affecting my bottom line at this point. 

Respected Contributor

Re: What have you cut out of your life since inflation etc has affected our lives?

I haven't found the need to cut back on anything at this time.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Re: What have you cut out of your life since inflation etc has affected our lives?

@SeaMaiden 

I live alone, retired, with no debt.

The no debt part helps a ton. My Mom left me money when she died in 2015, and for a second I thought I'd buy a new fun vehicle!!! ( to replace my 2011 with very low miles and no probelms...how silly is that?!??!?)

Then I came to my senses and paid off my mortgage.

If I had bought that vehicle, it'd be 7 years old now and on it's way to where ALL vehicles end up...the dump!

I have cut nothing out. I am more mindful of wasting foods and try to reuse and repurpose, which has become kind of fun.

Luckily, this period coincides with the time in my life when I don't want any more "stuff" and am offloading things.

I like a simple life. So for me, I see no difference. 

I thank goodness my Mom taught us to "save for a rainy day, because it's not IF one comes, it's WHEN". 

So I did!!

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing due to inflation.

My big cutback came with the virus.  Still not going out much at all.  Have not been inside a store for than two years.

Credit card balances are a joke.

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen Being debt free contributes greatly to a feeling of security. We paid off the mortgage right before I retired at 61. That money went to paying for my health insurance until Medicare kicked in. We live off our investments and bank our SS. Been living off those investments for 7 years now and still have more than we started with back then.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Nothing due to inflation. Because of Covid I stopped my twice a month gel manicures I had been getting for years. I miss it sometimes but have certainly saved money.

Honored Contributor

My very favorite thing to eat, King Crab Legs and lobster! Just too costly now....sniff.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Not because fn inflation, but when covid started I cut down on my online purchases.  I only purchase something on line that I know I cannot get any where else.  Usually a ring from JTV here and there.  

Respected Contributor

We went from not eating out much to barely at all.  Restaurants are sooo expensive.  Went to my faorite BBQ place last November and most items on it was listed as "market price."  Haven't been back.  If we order out, it's just a pizza or chinese food.  All that leaves us leftovers.  Grocery  shopping.....went from buying it when you see it and stocking up as much as possible during the pandemic to just buying what we need because groceries are so expensive now.  A medium size jar of Hellman's mayo was almost $7!.  

Honored Contributor

Nothing

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif