Respected Contributor

Re: What have you cut out of your life since inflation etc has affected our lives?

I grew up almost but not quite at the poverty level.  My parents worked hard but due to what life throws at you, it was tough for my mother and father.  It was hard on me then but now I am grateful for that experience. It made me who I am.  I appreciate everything that I have and have worked for until I retired last summer.  My mom did miracles and did a great job making sure that my brother and I had everything we needed for school, clothing and meals.  Never went hungry.  Sorry for rambling. My point is I know how to live frugally and have no qualms about buying generic groceries and living financially simple.  Have never blown too much money on eating out or vacations.  The only thing I struggle with is buying too much from QVC, but I have been doing good with that as of late.

Honored Contributor

Re: What have you cut out of your life since inflation etc has affected our lives?

@KingstonsMom wrote:

My very favorite thing to eat, King Crab Legs and lobster! Just too costly now....sniff.

Hey @KingstonsMom!  Happy day:  Smiley Happy

I wish this one restaurant was still here.  It was my birthday dinner for years and favorite place to go because they actually had on the menu a dinner that was Alaskan King Crab legs AND Australian lobster tail (the best lobster ever!).    

There was some more stuff on the plate, but I don't even remember.  I just wanted some clarified butter and lots of lemon wedges and off I went!   

💖

Esteemed Contributor

I have cut out a lot of buying from QVC, before inflation.

I buy just basics.  Senior on limited income and have watched my food buying. No more goodies, just what I need, and am cooking a lot of soups.

I had to put a new roof on my home to the tune of 19,000 dollars, small home, and my car and electricity broke down, so used the savings for all those things, which left me pretty much empty.

Each day is a challenge, but so far able to meet it.

I never budgeted my food spending before, but cut out a lot of goodies and just mindless buying.  I shop sales at different groceery stores, like I use to do in the 50's when I was raising children.

This to shall pass. 

Respected Contributor

I cut out my cable and landline. Now use firestick and cell phone-saves me around $100.00 a month. I used to buy myself a sandwich from Wegman's sub shop every week, but they are now $8.00. Will now be a treat on occassion. I don't drive much, so I don't use much gas. The thing that got me the most though was having to get a "new " car last year because of major issues with my 12 year old vehicle. Of course, overpriced, due to covid causing supplychain issues. Anyhow, hoping for the best for us all.

Honored Contributor

Well for me it is different than what most posted, i have had to limit beef cuts, i like, less food altogether,   no going  out to eat,  cheaper clothing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I walk three days a week. I get SO BORED walking in my neighborhood so would drive to walking trails in city parks or along local lakes and rivers. That has stopped because of the cost of gas. If I have an errand to run and can make it work out, I will walk in the area close to my library, CVS, etc, which are close to the above mentioned nature areas, since I am already in the area.

Regular Contributor

Not due to inflation rather Covid, I stopped my weekly manicures.  I started doing my own nails again and receive more compliments now then I did when they were professionally done.

Our girls are married but our son is in college.  We will see what happens to our grocery bill when he comes home in 2 weeks.

Honored Contributor

This inflation is so bad. While it's not absolutely necessary for us to cut back, we want to follow the budget we made at the start of the year so food and gasoline have been our targets. We bought 10 gallons of gas for our lawnmower when it was $3.25 a gallon and we've only cut lawn two times so far this season. We plan to cut our lawn less frequently. As far as food, I shop the sales and buy groceries once a week. When we dine out, we split a sandwich and a side. We used to always get refillable soda ($3.29) but we often ask for water, or just get a can of pop which we share.

Honored Contributor

Because of inflation, the cost of gas etc....We cancelled Sirius.  Don't need to spend money on radio when I can barely fill my gas tank!

I have also stopped all 'yummy' store bought treats...and cut way back on the extras I cook with.

For example, my stews and chilis had everything but the kitchen sink!  Now, no fresh peppers, for example.  The cost is nuts on them!

Salads have less ingredients, sandwichs less slices of meat....things like that.

I do not stock my pantry, but shop bi-weekly only for what I absolutely need.

Living off the freezer til it is empty!!

We treated ourselves to our fav pizza.  Price WAY up, toppings way DOWN!  That will be our last pizza!!!

Respected Contributor

Nothing. I've always stocked up when items are on sale, and I've continued this practice.