Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you think of this?

@chrystaltree wrote:

You are right that home cooked meal is healthier and more nutritious but it isn't your call, you aren't his mother.  I take it you are the person who paid for his fast food so you can just stop paying and tell him you'll fix him something to eat.  He's free to eat it or not eat it.  I don't see anything wrong with her response.  That's probably how you daughter sees it as something that just isn't a big deal.  She'll deal with as she sees fit.  That's her job.

@chrystaltree 

I agree with you 100% @chrystaltree .

You said much better than I tried to do, which is why I removed my own post.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@FranandZoe   I'm on your side with the healthy eating, but I think fast foods have become the norm in our society.  Those foods are so addictive, but unhealthy.  They only make them to taste good and be cheap to make, not for health.  His mother has probably fallen into the trap as well.

Thanks 2blonde. It probably is addictive!  They might be cheap to make but I've been spending $8 - $18 a day - just can't continue.  

Surely his mother doesn't expect you to foot the bill for his fast food habit?  If so, do as others suggested - tell her his addiction has gotten expensive and ask her to recommend some at-home alternatives.

I did tell her it was getting too expensive.  Good idea about asking for suggestions though.  Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@FranandZoe   Do you actually see him eating this fast food?  Where does he get the money for this?  I would want to make sure he was spending the money on FOOD and not something bad - if you know what I mean.  

I hope his mother gets to the bottom of it.  Afterall, she is the parent and should be able to set the rules and he should obey them.

I think it is great that you are able to have this much time with your grandson.  I hope it all works out.

He gets the money from me lol.  I take him to get it.    Thanks for the response.  

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe Since you are paying for it, I personally would give him X amount of money for the week so he could treat himself a couple of times.

When that's gone, it's gone. And yes, let your daughter handle it. I agree, get some ideas from him about what he WOULD like to eat at your house and maybe have him learn to help prepare it. Something you could do together.

But I wouldn't cut him off the fast food completely.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@FranandZoe Since you are paying for it, I personally would give him X amount of money for the week so he could treat himself a couple of times.

When that's gone, it's gone. And yes, let your daughter handle it. I agree, get some ideas from him about what he WOULD like to eat at your house and maybe have him learn to help prepare it. Something you could do together.

But I wouldn't cut him off the fast food completely.

Thanks lovemygrands - I told him a few times a week is ok - just not every day.  

Honored Contributor

It could become a teaching experience..you could show him that cooking at home can add up to big savings..tally up a week of fast food versus a week of home cooking and shopping for sales and coupon shopping..set aside the money saved each week and put it into a bank account to pay for a fun outing...whatever he thinks would be great to try or buy.

Esteemed Contributor

@FranandZoe  Your DIL responded, "That's fine. I'll take care of it." 

Doesn't that indicate she's the parent and going to address the situation in whatever manner she sees fit? I'd leave it up to her. It's between the two of them. It is not your decision at this point. She's told you, "I'll take care of it."

Don't know where your son is in this family, but if you want to remain on friendly terms with your DIL it would be a good idea to let her handle the after school food. Perhaps he's stopping with friends at Panera, rather than going with his Grandmother? We are only getting one side of the story. He may be eating healthy food. Without his side, we will never know.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Super Contributor

@FranandZoe You sound like a wonderful, caring grandma who just wants her grandson to eat, like so many grandmas do. I sure wouldn't turn down soup and grilled cheese for fast food, but he is at the age where it is so tempting and more fun to eat junk food. Just keep trying and limit the number of times you take him for fast food. 

Respected Contributor

I don't think kids that age are going to get excited about cooking lessons or the cost of home cooked treats vs. fast food. Kids this age come in from school revenous. Sometimes they do not eat their lunch because they dont have time to eat the lunch.  Find out if he likes pizza. Simple homemade cheese pizzas are easy to make and you can control the toppings. Apple wedges, cheese chunks, grapes. Or keep some ready made hamburger patties that could be cooked up quickly.  I like your idea of limiting the  fast food to 2 treats a week. It's my experience with kids that their taste buds change and usually they grow out of the disire for a menu consisting of only fast foods.  What fast food you buying for him that costs $18? 

As far as his mother response "I'll take care of it" what's wrong with this? 

Honored Contributor

The experts always tell us we can change ourselves, not others.  I'm not sure I'm even successful at changing my own behaviors all that often, but that's where I start.

In this case, I'd be happy if you stopped enabling your grandson's fast-food habit.  He's probably too young to earn the kind of money you've been spending to treat him.