Respected Contributor

What do you think of this?

[ Edited ]

My grandson (12 - 13 in January) gets off the bus and comes to my house after school.

I've always made him something to eat.  Late last school year he got into the habit of getting fast food or food from a local restaurant.  It started out just a few days a week then evolved into every day.  Totally my fault for letting this happen.  Now this year that's all he wants to eat.  I had to finally put a stop to it.  It's too expensive and just not good for him.  I always have food here he can eat.  I texted his Mom and let her know he didn't eat anything after school today and why. I had stew that I made today, Panera Bread chicken noodle soup and I could have made him a grilled cheese sandwich. All things he used to really like.  But he doesn't seem to want anything I make anymore.  His other grandmother has told me the same thing.

So his Mom's response was "That's fine - I'll take care of it."  

What do you make of her response?  It just seems weird to me.  Like she really didn't agree but to do what I have to do.  Maybe I'm just being too sensitive or paranoid but she often has responses to things that seem inappropriate.  When my grandson goes home he goes home to his other grandmother who lives with him.  She could easily make him something.  His Mom doesn't cook except for weekends.  I dunno - am I wrong?  

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think of this?

@FranandZoe   I'm on your side with the healthy eating, but I think fast foods have become the norm in our society.  Those foods are so addictive, but unhealthy.  They only make them to taste good and be cheap to make, not for health.  His mother has probably fallen into the trap as well.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I agree that restaurant fast food is not a healthy snack.Maybe you could ask your grandson what you could have in the house that he would eat...maybe even teach him to prepare it so that he could surprise his mom with something homemade.

Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@FranandZoe   I'm on your side with the healthy eating, but I think fast foods have become the norm in our society.  Those foods are so addictive, but unhealthy.  They only make them to taste good and be cheap to make, not for health.  His mother has probably fallen into the trap as well.

Thanks 2blonde. It probably is addictive!  They might be cheap to make but I've been spending $8 - $18 a day - just can't continue.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

I agree that restaurant fast food is not a healthy snack.Maybe you could ask your grandson what you could have in the house that he would eat...maybe even teach him to prepare it so that he could surprise his mom with something homemade.

Whatnow - great idea about asking him - I'll do that.  His Mom eats a big lunch - out -  and doesn't eat dinner.  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

You are right that home cooked meal is healthier and more nutritious but it isn't your call, you aren't his mother.  I take it you are the person who paid for his fast food so you can just stop paying and tell him you'll fix him something to eat.  He's free to eat it or not eat it.  I don't see anything wrong with her response.  That's probably how you daughter sees it as something that just isn't a big deal.  She'll deal with as she sees fit.  That's her job.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

Thanks 2blonde. It probably is addictive!  They might be cheap to make but I've been spending $8 - $18 a day - just can't continue.  

Surely his mother doesn't expect you to foot the bill for his fast food habit?  If so, do as others suggested - tell her his addiction has gotten expensive and ask her to recommend some at-home alternatives.

Respected Contributor

To Anonymous whoever:  I'm very happy I get to see my grandson everyday.  Sorry you deleted your reply to me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@FranandZoe   Do you actually see him eating this fast food?  Where does he get the money for this?  I would want to make sure he was spending the money on FOOD and not something bad - if you know what I mean.  

I hope his mother gets to the bottom of it.  Afterall, she is the parent and should be able to set the rules and he should obey them.

I think it is great that you are able to have this much time with your grandson.  I hope it all works out.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You are right that home cooked meal is healthier and more nutritious but it isn't your call, you aren't his mother.  I take it you are the person who paid for his fast food so you can just stop paying and tell him you'll fix him something to eat.  He's free to eat it or not eat it.  I don't see anything wrong with her response.  That's probably how you daughter sees it as something that just isn't a big deal.  She'll deal with as she sees fit.  That's her job.

Yes I've been buying the food.  Maybe I'm just reading too much into what she said.  Thanks.