Honored Contributor

What do you think about changes in Miss America?

I believe the changes they have implemented will be the downfall of Miss America.  Swimsuits ------- shows how the contestants exercise to keep their bodies fit.  The swimsuit competition will be dropped.  Evening gowns - I always looked forward to seeing the gowns and the contestant's taste and style.  Apparently, you can wear whatever you want.  Talent was shortened years ago and it stinks so dropping swimsuit and wear what you want is really going to cheapen the competition.   How do you feel?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think about changes in Miss America?

Without reading about the changes to the pageant, after all these decades of pageants, the swimsuit portion now offends someone. 

Honored Contributor

I wish the Miss America and other beauty pageants would just go away.

i have always felt that women are displayed like cattle at the county fair at these events.

Since  they are not going away...yet, I am happy that the swim suit competition is gone.  Who in their right mind wear high heels while almost naked on stage? That is so unnatural.

There are many women who have surgery scars or other blemishes that are considered flaws that would render a woman a " no go" and damaged.

i think the whole pageant is disgusting and cheapens women.  When I was a teenager, I saw a pageant in person in Atlantic City.  One of my friends older sister's college roommate was a contestant.  There is a whole lot more going on that what is shown on TV.

i currently do not watch the pageants, nor do I care who wins.  

Esteemed Contributor

I believe these changes will be the downfall of the Miss America Pagent .... the changes are probably due to complaints from “women” who can’t compete in the swimsuit & talent portions of the show because they haven’t got a chance to win in these categories either because they are out of shape or have no talent except to complain & look hideous in a swim suit or formal gown .... the world has changed so much ... people apply for jobs that they don’t qualify for & companies are forced to lower the qualifications & give them the jobs otherwise there will be all kinds of demonstrations etc,. ....unfortunately  the bottom line is rather than “bow down” to the whims of these unqualified people & destroy the ideals & beauty of the Miss America Pagent the competition should be cancelled 🙃

Honored Contributor

"This change in format signals the end of the swimsuit portion of the competition. In its place, each candidate will participate in a live interactive session with the judges, where she will highlight her achievements and goals in life and how she will use her talents, passion, and ambition to perform the job of Miss America.

The former evening gown competition will now give participants the freedom to outwardly express their self-confidence in evening attire of their choosing while discussing how they will advance their social impact initiatives. Talent, which has always been a distinguishing element of Miss America, will remain a highlight of the competition.

“We are no longer a pageant. Miss America will represent a new generation of female leaders focused on scholarship, social impact, talent, and empowerment” said Gretchen Carlson, Chair of the Board of Trustees, adding ”We’re experiencing a cultural revolution in our country with women finding the courage to stand up and have their voices heard on many issues. Miss America is proud to evolve as an organization and join this empowerment movement.”

From their website.   Bold is mine.

I've always supported the program, I've met a couple of Miss America's.   I always took my girls to the local competition.    Becoming a Miss Alabama or a Miss America can give a young lady a great platform.  Scholarships are great.   There are too many negative influences in the world, nothing wrong with this program.

We'll see where 2.0 goes.

Respected Contributor

I haven't watched in years so it doesn't matter to me.  An ex from years ago is married to a former Miss America.  Smiley Indifferent

Valued Contributor

I also wish that these pageants would go away.  They only perpetuate the idea that women are primarily valued for their physical appearance.

Honored Contributor

I think removing the swimsuit portion is a good thing.  Young ladies should showcase their brains, not their assets. Women have come a long way, but still have long to go.

Honored Contributor

I think there are other problems with the pagent. New managment. People are leaving, including a few miss americas.

Honored Contributor

From the scant number of posts on this thread, I'd assume the community forum doesn't feel strongly on the subject.  Normally, we'll argue about anything.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment