Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you look for in a close friend?

Similar values, like-minded, honest, and someone who gives and takes - not just takes and I've seen enough of those.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

Common Ground.

Trusted Contributor

TRUST, honesty, a healthy attitude with a sense of humor. Non-competitive - definitely not narcissistic or manipulative. Comfortable with themselves and others - warts and all - without taking themselves too seriously. Some shared interests help with compatibility, but I also like to learn and grow through relationships with those who enjoy interests unfamiliar to my own. 

I don't go around with a mental check list. I usually just accept most people as they are, but of my long lasting friendships, those qualities have been present and help to bolster sincere affection and loyalty through the good times and bad. 

Honored Contributor

Someone who  is trustworthy, honest, and humble.

Red flags are set off when they start bragging about their terrific husband, smart kids, beautiful home, wonderful travels, and so on. I am skeptical of anyone who feels the need to embelish their life and I question their motives  and authenticity. 

Esteemed Contributor

I want someone to celebrate my happiness and feel my pain.  These are things I share.  

Honored Contributor

Someone who likes the same things I do and is willing to do me a favor when I need it and vice versa.

Honored Contributor

A friend must be trustworthy, sense of humor, a little daring and just a plain ole good person and love animals, especially cats.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Trust, loyalty, empathy and a sense of humor! Yes, I do feel I have those characteristics!  I try my best to always treat others as I want to be treated.  

Esteemed Contributor

Somebody who is not selfish and self-absorbed.  I've had to cut loose a few friends who were not flexible where I was the one to ALWAYS adapt to their schedule, etc.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Having common morals and values and BEING A GOOD LISTENER because 99% of the people in my life are talkers and I'M the listener. I still haven't really found that in anyone but one person, a co-worker.