Honored Contributor

Re: What day of the week was your favorite as a child? Why?

Saturday, or course.  Saturday morning cartoons were the best.

Respected Contributor

Friday was always my favorite because it meant that I I had two days off of school.  

On a different note, I'm so sorry that some of you had bad experiences with the nuns at catholic school.  I went all twelve years to a catholic school and I have many lovely memories with the teaching nuns especially during my eight years in grade school.

They were lovely women and cared very much about their students.  There was a brief period where my mother was hospitalized and my dad was working so the nuns would take me to their convent after school and allow me to stay with them until my dad picked me up.  They would give me snacks and let me watch TV with them.  As a young child I was always amazed that they watched the same programs as my parents did.  I guess I thought that they only went to church and prayed.  When you got to know them you realized that they were just women who devoted their lives to religion and helping others.  

I think at one time my parents entertained the idea of me becoming a nun.  That idea was quickly ended when I discovered boys.  Lol!

Respected Contributor

This is what came to mind for me, @qualitygal, & it doesn't answer your question! Sorry.  Smiley Very Happy

I was a happy, carefree kid too, as a previous poster stated. 

But all that changed on Sunday nights which always gave me a feeling of doom, emptiness and foreboding.

I felt lost, & don't know why.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini   you know the sense of let-down Sunday nights was that it was back to school.  As adults, don't we feel that on some days when it's back to work on Monday? That's how I'd equate that.  Use to have the Sunday night blues from time to  time.  That also was because the fun, free, do what you want weekend came to an end.  Could that be some of it?  Just a guess.  

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal, I'm sure you're right. And in some ways, maybe that's why I loved magical Christmas Eves the most....anything could happen!

BTW, I've been meaning to say this to you for years, @qualitygal: you really do keep these boards going with all your seemingly endless questions.

I admire that, as I can never think of a single thing to ask. 

Keep up the great work!  Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

I don't know that I had a favorite day, I loved them all. During the week, it was either school or playing in the neighborhood during the summertime. My parents both worked so we had only Saturdays & Sundays as "family days". Cleaning and shopping on Saturdays, going to the grocery store was a big deal because we could flirt with the high school boys who would bag our groceries and carry them out to the car. Sundays were for church, then a stop by our local bakery for goodies for breakfast since we couldn't eat before mass. Then home to help prepare Sunday dinner and maybe take a short road trip to visit family. Simpler times that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Honored Contributor

Probably Saturdays! Sundays we had church and Mon-Fri was school!

Respected Contributor

Saturday!  No school.  I'd wake up and the Day Would be MINE!  After my chores and going food shopping with Mom of course.  But the vacuuming and dusting went by quickly with the three stooges and Wrestling on the T.V in the background. ( except for when Chief Jay Strongbow or Gorilla Monsoon Were on! then I was glued to the TV )

When we went shopping all the moms would leave us kids by the magazine racks.  (Where I developed my fondness for Mad Magazine). when we'd get home ,via a cab shared with our next door neighbor all the kids  over in the park would come over and take the grocery bags up the stairs, Because that's what you did for your friends moms. 

Then it was FREEDOM!  We'd go candlepin bowling, Aways better with a frosty bottle of orange Fanta from the vending machine.  and if something good was playing at the movies ( and we had the money)  we'd go over to the matinee.  The train rumbling by  outside during the movie was a given.  Other times we'd bike ride to the DairyQueen or go to the crafts store and spend the afternoon making Make it bake its. I still have some of the Christmas ornament ones. 

I Am A Saturdays Child!