Honored Contributor

Re: What challenges did you face recently?

@NAES1,

Thank you for your interest, support and kind words.   

I had planned my surgery after Easter; hoping to be fully recovered by the start of summer.   Despite all my prep and planning, multiple things happened beyond my control, and I accepted that I was not supposed to have surgery at that time.   It was tough, but I saw that things happened the way they did for a reason.   

My surgery was planned for the purpose of taking care of my knee issues in the early stages.  As summer progressed and things began to fall in place with my husband, I realized how much the discomfort was building in my knee; more tightness in the joint from the osteoarthritis, more stiffness and general discomfort.  Since rising into this level of pain, it has brought back the memories of what I endured before, and elevated my determination to have surgery before I deteriorate to that point.  This was my second summer of being sidelined, and I didn't like it any more this year than I did last year!   

I am consulting with the ortho surgeon who performed my previous surgery; very talented and well known in this area.   My surgery will be done in the hospital where I was employed for 27 years; they've been warned that I'm coming back and expect the royal treatment!  My bag is still packed and ready to go, my mind is wrapped around just doing it, and if it's the right time, everything will fall into place for me.   

I was not aware of your husbands recent accident; I sincerely hope he is okay and recovering well from the ordeal.  I surely understand the drama involved, and the stress level raises quite a bit in situations where the driver doesn't own the car they were driving, has no license to drive, or has no insurance!  

After my first knee surgery, on the way to PT, someone rear ended us at the gas station!   The person who hit us was not the owner of the vehicle he was driving, but the insurance company was very easy to work with and repaired my vehicle without any hassles.   I hope your husbands experience is hassle free.   

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree

Oye! C'mom Tuesday. Just thinking about this is enough for me. I'll stick with our furry kids. Hang in there, only a couple more days.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Drythe

Been there several times so I understand. Sending you my best of wishes.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@santorini

I hope your recovering goes well for you. The distractions people use while driving are things like this waiting to happen.  My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I'm 76 yrs young - totally alone. My best friend Brenda passed away 1-1/2 yrs ago - and she was 14 yrs younger than me. She was never sick until she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. We were best friends for 33 yrs. She drove out to southern California from a small town in Iowa in December, 1982 and I rented a room in my house to her for a couple of years. We went out socially, travelled together, had lots to talk about. A few years after, she got married a had a daughter, Haley, now 24. 

My mother died in January, 1982 so I was happy to have found a good friend. I never had a lot of friends - but always 2 or 3 close friends thru the years. As I got older, it was harder and harder to make friends - as most people are married or busy with their families. I'm also more of a quiet-type - not pushy - so I tend to sit back.

In 2006 I was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer - which I knew I had since 2003 - but couldn't go to the doctor because I didn't have insurance. I was working temp and part-time jobs at that time because I was in my 50's and never learned the computer. I knew what I had because my mother had the exact same cancer - but she didn't survive. I actually beat it - and have been back to normal for many years.

Losing my "fantastic" mother - even though it was a long time ago - still affects me. 

Then losing Brenda - makes me mad!!!!  I never got married and don't have any chldren or family - something I regret. I had a fear of marriage because I had a mentally-abusive father who my mother divorced. 

For my age, I'm in great shape, look nice, somewhat smart --- but I always feel like the "odd man out.  "Some days I just ask God "what happened to my life? I get the most joy from my little lhasa apso, who just turned 9 yrs old.

Some days are just difficult, but I just take it in stride and think positive thoughts. I enjoy reading and writing to all u folks on this site -- I've learned a lot and enjoy exchanging information and the social part of it - even though we don't know each other. 

I truly can't believe I'm writing this --- as it's not something anyone knows - but the topic fits how I feel.

Thanks!!! 

@kivah

Some of your story is similar to parts of my life. Never knew my dad, drunk left my mom to raise my 3 older sisters and myself. Lived with my mother many years, just her and myself after all my sisters married. She died in 1969 when I was 29.

Married at age 62, never wanted kids. Saw what my friends dealt with and decided it wasn't for me. We have had many of the furry kind, and they are all we need to fulfill that part of our lives.

Introvert until age 15 as I was "the big fat kid". Changed weight and became outspoken and what I consider  "street educated" and have done well with my life. Ran many big organizations at different junctures of my life. Never a follower.

Hundreds, if not more, associates and friends over many decades. When alone it is because it was/is my choice. Been through many close to death experiences, but my concern was/is more for my wife than myself. Made it through all of them and now, at 78, am at the top levels of physical and mental fitness. "Life is good", and that is how I look at it every single day.

Thank you for sharing your story, a lot of it I too lived. My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart

Very sad reading your story. My mother too was a very vibrant lady. Raised us 4 kids by herself, and we all turned out well. After all 3 of my older sisters married, it was just my mother and myself.

I don't know anything much harder than watching as your mother dies a little each day(my mother). It is painful and more because you know there is nothing you can do. Those days for me ended in 1969, but a person never forgets them.

My best wishes to all in your family.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I'm Jewish and was a member of my Temple for 11 years. I participated in many social events, services, holiday parties, etc. 2-1/2 yrs ago, there seemed to be lots more children, parents, teachers, etc. who I have nothing in common with. So - I just decided not to go back. 

@kivah

I have met a whole lot of people who share no commonalities with me. That however has never kept me from associating with them, and some became very good friends of mine.

I listened and I learned, and they did the same in kind. We all learned things we never may have known had we mot spoken to each other. My wife says "you can talk with anyone", which is true. That however did not come without working from being an introvert into someone that is very easy going and can talk on and about many topics and ways of life.

If a person is mobile and has a means to get places, and, they are alone or lonesome?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes it felt like I didn't fit in --- so it was more comfortable staying home. I could talk to most people - but when ur single and they're married or a lot younger - ur not welcome.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@CalminHeart

Very sad reading your story. My mother too was a very vibrant lady. Raised us 4 kids by herself, and we all turned out well. After all 3 of my older sisters married, it was just my mother and myself.

I don't know anything much harder than watching as your mother dies a little each day(my mother). It is painful and more because you know there is nothing you can do. Those days for me ended in 1969, but a person never forgets them.

My best wishes to all in your family.

hckynut(john)

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I truly appreciate them.  I'm sorry you also had to go through it.  Peace and Hugs. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah

Hey, if you are more comfortable, stay home! Thought I read in 1 of other posts that you felt forgotten and/lonesome. Maybe I am wrong about that, but if it is comfort you want out of your life?  Everyone has choices in life and seems to me like you prefer comfort to people.

Even though I am a "people person", I still prefer being around those with 4 legs and fur. Nothing or nobody can make any one happy. Happiness is up to the individual to depend only on themselves. To think otherwise does not work.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)