Honored Contributor

Re: What are your thoughts for the holiday season this year?

@qualitygal,  it will be the three of us here, since we don't usually travel for Christmas, and our extended family is pretty far flung.

While this state had more deaths in the beginning, our region has sustained a lower number now for an extended period.  So, we remain cautious and prudent, with continued social distancing measures, etc., but we are not concerned with getting out and about to some degree.

It will be a cozy Christmas as usual (I hope!), with our celebration of the real reason for the holiday foremost.  Of course we'll decorate, we'll attend Christmas eve services at church (virtually, this year, just to be safe), I'll cook, I'll dither over various table settings, we'll dine by candlelight and with music.  We might even resume our traditional, much-needed, post-Christmas dinner hike on the nearby greenway trail, weather permitting....

Trusted Contributor

Skipping all holiday get togethers this year and have no travel plans before fall 2021, if then.  DH and I are in high risk group and concerned about the long term after effects of Covid. Have not been in a restaurant or other indoor venue in 7 months. Why risk it now when Covid cases rapidly going up in our state. 

Esteemed Contributor

We haven’t celebrated anything this year but we are celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s only 4 of us.  I’m excited and can’t wait to cook and bake. 

Honored Contributor

@Miss Pepsi   I'm so very sorry for your loss.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

With things getting worse not better, I would think skipping the holidays this year so everyone might live to look forward to next year would make sense.  For families that get together and then find out that someone got sick and died because of it would darken all the holidays to follow.  I guess if everyone could do a rapid covid test before heading over to the family get together it might be okay. 

Trusted Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

Hubby passed away 35 days ago.  We both loved Christmas so much.  To say it is going to be different is an understatement.  I do want to decorate as he would want me too and I will be doing that sooner rather than later but clearlywill not be putting as much out.  The tree, my Nativity set and maybe some candles.  

First year in my whole life  am not looking forward to the holiday season and that would make him sad.

Going to be a tough year for so many.  I just hope through it all, we can remember to be kind.

keep those you love close.

Miss Pepsi, I am so sorry for your loss and wish I could give you a hug. My hubby went to Heaven 9 years ago, a few days before Thanksgiving so I know how you feel.  The first year it is especially tough, but do what you are planning, sit down on Christmas Eve with a glass of wine or juice and toast your sweet hubby, he will be there with you.  God Bless and take care of yourself.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Game on! This will be my grandchilds first Christmas! We are all getting together as usual. Why would this Christmas be any different??

Sigh.

Honored Contributor

I live in Ohio and it is definitely getting worse here, not better.  

I honestly have no idea what we are going to do. My family is small and we have gotten together a number of times throughout the summer, but always outside.  I don't believe my side is going to celebrate.

DH's side is also small and I'm 99% sure they plan on having the holiday.  Not sure what we'll do.  Personally I'd prefer to stay home and not be around them.  I haven't seen them since last Christmas because of all of this. 

Honored Contributor

We are not seeing family for Thanksgiving & Christmas. Decision already made.

For those who are waiting to make the decision, I am sorry, but I don’t think things are going to change for the better by then. The virus doesn’t care about holidays or the fact that we all are tired of restrictions. I would feel absolutely horrible if someone I know and love got COVID because I had a get together in my house. 

Trusted Contributor

@Miss Pepsi 

I am so very sorry for your loss.