Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are you doing out of the ordinary this summer?

My DD is getting married and both the bride and the groom want a very small wedding, of course we opened our home to both of them [we have a large back yard]  There will be 60 people in attendance and they will be very comfortable. The wedding is in September of this year and we are very excited. But, it is a lot of work but, it is happy work.We are hoping the weather is nice and sunny that day.

Respected Contributor

Playing more golf. I purchased a membership to a local club (it's golf only - not a country club) and have unlimited playing privileges. 

I don't currently have any travel planned, which is out of the ordinary for me, but I imagine I'll end up with at least one trip of some sort. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

We’re planning a trip to Mackinac Island. 

Valued Contributor

I am in Italy near Venice now visiting my mother who is in a nursuing home.My hometown is a beach resort. We used to have tourists from Germany,Austria, Norway,Danmark.

Now they also come from Hungary,Poland etc..I have even seen a few Russian cars.

Frequent Contributor

A Viking River cruise across France.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Weekly LONG bike rides with a friend from my school days whom I haven't seen in 50 years. We were in 4th grade together. We meet every Monday for a ride sponsored by Slow Roll Detroit and ride through the streets of Detroit. Tonight we're meeting for dinner first. I hope the weather cooperates.

Trusted Contributor

I had my Ancestry DNA done a few years ago. Two years ago I made contact with out-of-state family members from my grandfather's side of the family.  I didn't know he had more than one sister.  

My daugher and I are going on a road trip in a couple of weeks, to upstate NY, to meet my family for the first time.  I've been in contact with two of my cousins for almost two years, and one came to visit us in April.  I can't wait to meet the rest of them.  And, to see where my grandfather first lived, when he arrived from Italy, before he moved to Maryland.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

We have reservations for a cruise to Alaska! I won’t say we’re going until we’re on the ship and it’s leaving the harbor! We had the same plans last year, but due to our flight being canceled from NC to Seattle connecting in Dallas, we didn’t go. Our flight was to leave NC at 7:30 am; at 2:30 am the airlines called to tell us about the cancellation. Since there was a connection in Dallas, the airlines couldn’t guarantee there would be seats available. Our plan was to arrive the day before the cruise began so we wouldn’t feel so rushed, but that was eliminated. We chose to cancel.
Regular Contributor

Interesting thread to read  @qualitygal -- thanks!

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

This is my 1st summer of full retirement. So far, I've done a lot outside that I never had time to do before.  I've been going room to room to declutter and donate to charity.  I joined a prayer group.   I'm also trying to train my dog to sleep a little later.  He's improved to 5:15am.  LOL.  It used to be 4am so it is an improvement.  

@CalminHeart   Do you have to go through the time change in the fall?