Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: What are you doing out of the ordinary this summer?

We're buying a new boat!! We just sold our 1962 wooden Chris Craft boat, our heart and soul. But it began to be too much work to keep up. But we had many years of pride and joy driving this around our lake. We have our eyes on a newer Chris Craft but its in another state. Gonna take a drive this week to look at it and take it for a drive. Fingers crossed we come home with it trailing behind our truck! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@just bee----just drives me  insane, these insurance co!!  Like this $$ we pay them, for years, in our case, at least 25 years, no claims until this big one, comes directly out their pockets !!! Grrrrrrr-----All I can say is stick to your guns and don't roll over and agree with them. We got our ins agent involved and in a week, we had resolution. After going on 6 months !!! I didn't think she would be able to do much but whe did----document everything too. We were so close to going to seek legal advice.

thanks--hope the same for you----haven't lived in a rental since the 70's

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla Thank you so much for the offer.  Our supplies are going to be given to us, so I think I'll be set.  I do have a set of pens left from before.  It has been sooooo long!!  But I'm looking forward to it.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@just bee----just drives me  insane, these insurance co!!  Like this $$ we pay them, for years, in our case, at least 25 years, no claims until this big one, comes directly out their pockets !!! Grrrrrrr-----All I can say is stick to your guns and don't roll over and agree with them. We got our ins agent involved and in a week, we had resolution. After going on 6 months !!! I didn't think she would be able to do much but whe did----document everything too. We were so close to going to seek legal advice.

thanks--hope the same for you----haven't lived in a rental since the 70's

@wagirl 

They keep telling us how great it is that we'll have a "new" house when this is over.  We didn't want a new house.  We didn't want to have to buy new vehicles.  We didn't want to replace things that we were using.

I don't wish this on anyone.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee---oh bee----they sound like heaven !! Ours gave us an adjuster who put down that is would take---$47,000, to replace the ENTIRE upstairs, including 2 baths, 3 bedrooms, a den, as well as the entire roof structure,  so that means it would be ripped off the house,leaving it open to the world,  new electrcial, HVAC.  and the the roof itself, as well as a back deck and roof. We had bids from 5 contractors all of whom laughed out loud at that report--saying we needed at least, $100 K more-----then there are other little things that we noticed were wonky in the weeks after the tree fell too, tht need to be addressed----that tree was about 150ft tall and fell thru a bedroom, onto the roof, kitty corner, so it destroyed all the trusses, then broke off at the opposite end of the house and impaled itself into the ground along with about 20ft more----- If this house was a rambler it would have been cut in two and been a totalled. And this guy thinks $47 would fix it all-------OMG !!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@just bee---oh bee----they sound like heaven !! Ours gave us an adjuster who put down that is would take---$47,000, to replace the ENTIRE upstairs, including 2 baths, 3 bedrooms, a den, as well as the entire roof structure,  so that means it would be ripped off the house,leaving it open to the world,  new electrcial, HVAC.  and the the roof itself, as well as a back deck and roof. We had bids from 5 contractors all of whom laughed out loud at that report--saying we needed at least, $100 K more-----then there are other little things that we noticed were wonky in the weeks after the tree fell too, tht need to be addressed----that tree was about 150ft tall and fell thru a bedroom, onto the roof, kitty corner, so it destroyed all the trusses, then broke off at the opposite end of the house and impaled itself into the ground along with about 20ft more----- If this house was a rambler it would have been cut in two and been a totalled. And this guy thinks $47 would fix it all-------OMG !!!!!!!!!

@wagirl 

No, not heaven.  I suspect they want to rebuild the quickest, cheapest way possible.  It won't be the same house when they're done with it.

Gonna be a long year.

I hope you get back to normal soon!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee--I knew the word heaven should never be used in the same sentence as insurance---my bad Man Embarassed Looks we will start on getting to  our "normal' in the next month. So now the work really starts----good luck to you on your adventure too 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@just bee--I knew the word heaven should never be used in the same sentence as insurance---my bad Man Embarassed Looks we will start on getting to  our "normal' in the next month. So now the work really starts----good luck to you on your adventure too 

@wagirl 

Keep me updated on your "adventure."  It's the only way to look at it.  To keep your head from exploding. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no problems going places alone. I have been to Disneyland by myself. I have also went skydiving (tandem).

@qualitygal 

Honored Contributor

This is my 1st summer of full retirement. So far, I've done a lot outside that I never had time to do before.  I've been going room to room to declutter and donate to charity.  I joined a prayer group.   I'm also trying to train my dog to sleep a little later.  He's improved to 5:15am.  LOL.  It used to be 4am so it is an improvement.