Honored Contributor

What a stressful last 2 weeks!!!

Man alive!!Woman Mad My 41 year old DD and I live together very happily and get along very well---but 2 weeks ago she got laid off from her job of 19 years!! Out of the blue, with no warning---OMG was she devasted!! And has been ever since--she works in the dental field--orthodonics-- and with a 3D printer---plus tons of other jobs that were heaped on her as well and of course, no decent pay per hour for all the hats she wore. It's the only job she has ever had. So then comes unemployment and finding medical insurance and all that entails.One minute she is angry, the next she is sobbing!! And then finding a new job-------that procedure has changed drastically since 2004---BUT..........hurray,Woman LOL she was hired yesterday for a position that she knows about-- basically-- but there is more to learn and the new boss LOVES her and wants to train her and paid her top $$ per hour!!! And again she sobbed--- only with relief and sheer exhaustion. Was a good day!! She starts on lucky #13 of May!! Gives her a week to recover--me too

Trusted Contributor

Re: What a stressful last 2 weeks!!!

So glad DD got a new job!

The stress of NOT having one can make you crazy!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl   I'm telling you and your housemate, it's ALL about lucky #13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And to start a great new job that her new boss already 'loves' her is FAB-U-LOUS!!!!

Ahh, lucky #13 - side bar - we were married on Friday the 13th of May 2012!  Due to the circumstances I chose this date all on purpose! And no, it certainly wasn't because I was pregnant and 'had' to marry!!!  We had been common law for 37 years, had to all because of hlth ins for him prior to my retirement.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl   So glad your daughter found a new job and with more pay. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl What an emotional roller coaster for your DD!!!...and you too seeing how unhappy she was and now she's sobbing with relief.

I'm so happy that she has gotten a new position and it sounds like it might be better than the job she had before.  Hopefully she can now enjoy a bit of time off before starting that new position.  You two should go out & celebrate! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

To both of you,

Good luck! | Good luck wishes, Good luck pictures, Good luck

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, this happens to workers everyday. Very stressful time for many.

Respected Contributor

I'm hearing about layoffs way too often lately.  On another board I visit, someone said that once her department was 20-30 people and over the years now down to just 3 and she's thankful she is one of the 3.  My cousin is a nurse.  Took a pay cut last year and will take another pay cut this year.  Heard of a company sending out emails to their engineers (I think it's something to do with cars) that  said don't report to office.  They were split up and sent to different off site places and all laid of.  A couple of hundred.  Google will be laying off again.  It just seems so much lately.  I'm sorry your daughter lost her job but it sounds like she got an even better one.  

Respected Contributor

@wagirl What a horrible two weeks! I am glad to hear you made it to the other side successfully. I hope you both can get some rest, relax, and make the most of this calm time together. You both earned some tranquility and peace.

I will say that getting another job that quickly was record speed. Her skill set and work history paid off. The job search could have been much longer. Hooray!!! It wasn't!

Respected Contributor

@wagirl I am happy that she found a job. I was fired from my job after 38 years of service as a nurse. I refused my bosses request that would have forced me to illegally "game" the Medicare system in the companies favor. I was a dedicated, hard worker, and to boot, it happened after I returned from FMLA for my mother death.

I had such a flood of emotion, anger, depression, inadequacy feelings, fear in thinking "who will hire me in my 60's". It was the darkest period of my life. Then Covid hit and I was even more isolated. 

It took me several years, but I got through it, I went to counseling, I did find a job but of course did not have my prior seniority. I have been at that job 5 years now. Medical insurance was also scary to me. Today, I am on Medicare, and going on that eased those fears. 

Luckily, I was able to secure and employment attorney who helped me get some restitution. Today, I feel much better about myself. At the time, I would not have cared if I had died. Honestly, it was terrible. 

May your daughter have a happy long career moving forward.