Respected Contributor

Re: What Were Your Choices For Recreational Reading Growing Up?

@Carmie, LOL Great story!

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I've been reading for as long as I can remember.  Even as a kid, my parents would often suggest I go outside instead of read all day.  I did play with friends and have fun but I always made time to read every day.  

I love biographies, autobiographies, history, political history, humorous, many types of fiction.  I don't read scary or suspense.  I prefer books that aren't too heavy but will read them if interested in the topic. I even read a romance on occasion.  

Two of my most memorable books are Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt and Den of Lions by Terry Anderson.   

@CalminHeart , Angela's Ashes was unrelentingly heavy to me.  Did you see the movie?

Honored Contributor

When I was really young - we had what we referred to as "the big fat book." 

It was an anthology of literature - poetry and short stories - mostly American authors - but also Grimm's Fairy Tales, Hans Christian Anderson, Aersop's Fables, etc.  Our parents read to us from it - so we had a good foundation.

I remember reading the whole serie of the Bobbsey Twns one summer (early 1950s.  I was always interested in history - so lots of books on history and historical fiction - particularly ancient history.  

I think I was about in the 8th Grade - one of my uncles gave me a stack of his college English literaturre books - and I devoured those.  

-----------

I ended up majoring in English with a minor in Classical Studies .... really a reflection of my reading interests growing up.

Valued Contributor

Stephen King, Stephen King and more Stephen King!!! Read everything he wrote until his books started getting less scary and just weird. Also read a lot of Agatha Christie. Still read her books over and over. Have read them all so many times when I pick one up now it's like spending an evening with an old friend.
Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I've been reading for as long as I can remember.  Even as a kid, my parents would often suggest I go outside instead of read all day.  I did play with friends and have fun but I always made time to read every day.  

I love biographies, autobiographies, history, political history, humorous, many types of fiction.  I don't read scary or suspense.  I prefer books that aren't too heavy but will read them if interested in the topic. I even read a romance on occasion.  

Two of my most memorable books are Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt and Den of Lions by Terry Anderson.   

@CalminHeart , Angela's Ashes was unrelentingly heavy to me.  Did you see the movie?

Hi.  No, I never saw the movie.  I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book.  I found the author's style easy to read and his humor was well placed.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG I was a voracious reader as a child, pre-teen, and through teen years into young adulthood. 

I can remember receiving for a birthday one year the Little House on the Prairie series. Wow you couldn't tell me anything that day, I had the WHOLE set! I also received the Chicken soup with rice mini books.....don't remember much about them except "In Februrary it will be, my snowman's anniversary. With cake for him and soup for me! Oh my Oh once....Oh my oh twice.....oh my that chicken soup with rice"....Smiley Very HappyHeart

I too enjoyed historical autobiographies, fiction......Huge fan of the Little Women series of books. Read a lot of Stephen King when older too.

My Mom belonged to that Harlequin Romance 2 books a month club and my sister and I would sneak them and read the whole book in one night. Just about every night!

We read a lot. 

**ETA: Can't believe I forgot my all time favorite book from childhood....."The Witch of Blackbird Pond"......I was going to grow up and marry Nat, and buy myself dresses with seven slits in the sleeve lol, or something like that. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Esteemed Contributor

I was an early reader and read anything and everything growing up.  In elementary school, my best friend and I would walk to the public library every week, checking out as many books as we could carry.  At school the "bookmobile" arrived every two weeks and we were allowed to check out books from this rolling library. I loved bookmobile days!  

I had a bad habit of reading in the bathtub and managed to drop a really thick book into the water.  Didn't tell my mother what I had done, but used my birthday money to pay for the book. Lesson learned. 

Its funny, but i don't remember any particular series that I enjoyed reading, just a little bit of everything.  I particularly enjoyed science fiction, which I think was probably a little unusual for a little girl. I loved sci fi anthologies and Ray Bradbury. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I loved any book about horses.  Misty of Chincoteague and Black Beauty.  

German shepherds being my favorite dogs, a book called Follow My Leader about a seeing eye dogs was a favorite I used to check out repeatedly.  I used to pretend our German Shepherd was a seeing eye dog....she played along with it....bless her!Heart

As a kid I remember reading The Borrowers series and enjoyed them along with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach.

Junior high I really enjoyed Hemmingway (Old Man and the Sea was a favorite).

Back then I would read and re-read books over and over---don't know why! 

Now I would never think of it with the exception of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  That book I picked up in the afternoon and read straight through till the middle of the night and went right back to page one.  Unbelievable!

Trusted Contributor

Fun post.

Grace Livingston Hill

Nancy Drew

Scholastic Book Club books

Church library

The GLH books went through my family like wildfire. Mom, sister, and myself would read the books and then discuss them. So much fun.

Although frugal, my parents had no problem allowing me to purchase as many Scholastic books that I wanted when the cart came around (dating myself, I know).

I learned how to love reading from my parents. Forever grateful.

dee

Esteemed Contributor

I also mostly read biographies of famous people (mostly historical) as our school library had a ton of them and Nancy Drew mysteries.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown