Honored Contributor

Re: What Were Your Choices For Recreational Reading Growing Up?

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Did anyone here read the series of books on the Bobbsey Twins?  My older sister had the entire series in hard back....I loved reading about their adventures!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbsey_Twins

@SeaMaiden   Yes. That is when I started reading books and have never stopped.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Have never been much of a reader at all. Recreation for me certainly was not reading. Things I read were/are mostly learning about informational things that I enjoy, and while I also am a participant.

Electronics/Exercise Physiology/Health-Nutrition and things of that nature. Novels and such do not interest me.Things that allow me to gain more knowledge, such as magazines and short informational stories fall into that category.

When very young thing like Superman/Captain Marvel were among the comic books my older sisters used to buy. 

I did however study the dictionary and at work even carried a pocket sized one. Had 1 boss that used to throw words around, when talking with me, he knew I had no idea what they meant. Thus my pocket dictionary so I could reciprocate in kind during our brief conversations.

From that point on our conversations became much less frequent, he moved on to my co-workers for his attempt at his amusement. I however did make sure I learned at least 1 new word every day.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Growing up, I read a lot of comic books...Richie Rich, Casper the Friendly Ghost, LuLu, Wonder Woman, Archie and many more. I would read them over and over again! I think they really contributed to my good reading levels in school. I never was

a great speller....but always a good reader. 

As far as books as a child I enjoyed fantasy....A whrinkle in Time...The Borrowers...to name a couple. 

I also loved to read  National Geographic magazine.   I would spend hours reading about the different places in the world and people....and look at all the pictures. We had a library with hundreds of issues. 

@SeaMaiden 

Yep, all those comic books too....read them all.... Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

Anyone remember those Scholastic Book pamphlets filled with books you could order from school? Right before summer vacation, I'd circle lots of books I wanted, and then had to whittle down my choices to a $3 order. I think most books were 35 to 45 cents!

@Minihaha oh yes, those Jolly Rancher sticks were the best because the lasted longer than a pack of candy cigarettes!

@AuntG 

We even had Scholastic Book Sales in our school library once or twice a year.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Did anyone here read the series of books on the Bobbsey Twins?  My older sister had the entire series in hard back....I loved reading about their adventures!

@SeaMaiden 

Yep, I read the Bobbsey Twins....

Valued Contributor

@squeaks wrote:

I was a poor reader in elementary school.  When I went to junior high, I found a series of books by Carolyn Haywood. I was hooked on books.  Scholastic had a series of books called Sue Barton.  She was a student nurse.  The series followed her through marriage and her career.

---

I loved those Carolyn Haywood books!  I think I have read them all.  My favorite was the "Eddie" series, but I also read all of the "Betsy" books, the "Penny" books, and so many others.

They re-issued many of them in the 1980s, but I had so many of the old hardback editions purchased by my mother at a library sale. Carolyn Haywood was absolutely my favorite author as a kid.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to a small parochial school. Every year a librarian would visit our classrooms and talk about books, focusing on a couple in particular.

When I was in 5th grade, I heard about Winnie-the-Pooh and Mary Poppins. I had to get those books!  After much begging, I finally did get a library card--and that opened up a whole new level of reading.

I was overjoyed to find that both Winnie-the-Pooh and Mary Poppins had a number of books relating their adventures. The Little House books (two of which had been read to our class by my 3rd grade teacher) also had a series. . .I was in heaven.

And I'm still there!

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Somehow I never could get into the Bobbsey's.  I loved Nancy Drew and everything Beverly Cleary.  Also child level biographies of famous people...I  remember one in particular on Clara Barton.  I used to sneak my older brothers copy of Mad Magazine.  Loved it!!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

I was in a book club too! I loved getting new books in the mail.

@ECBG 

As a child I read lots of mysteries, anything with animals, fables & fairy tales, poetry, and classics like Little Women. I stil own a copy of Little Women printed a long time ago - has no date. I kept a few of my favorite storybooks from childhood. The rest were donated. I also had a subscription to Highlights magazine which I liked. 

Honored Contributor

Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames.