Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Was Your First Legal Paying Job?

@on the bay :  I loved Hot Shoppers growing up ( you must have grown up in DC/MD/VA or Salt Lake City).  We would have hot fudge sundaes after church at Wheaton H.S. and Mr. Marriott (CEO) would frequently come in to check out his store.

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush 

Legal paying? What the heck does that mean? Shoveling over a foot of snow on driveways/mowing huge yards with the old, old type of push mower were jobs I did at 10. Prior to that, at 8, I had a paper route.

Paper route at 8 years old. Buy newspapers wholesale/sell at retail, legal capitalism to me. I did get receipts for papers paid, but it was up to me to collect the retail price, which = profit!  Receiving a pay stub, is that what your term "legal paying job" means? 

If so, guess my 1st was at 8 years old my paper route.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

My first job, at 16, was sales clerk at Hecht Co.  I loved that summer job!

Honored Contributor

I only ever babysat once.  that was enough for me.  

Never heard of working papers.

My first job was working in a pharmacy.  I wrote the durg name on the client cards and then filed the prescriptions.  I didn't need to write down the directions so never learned that shorthand, but did get good at reading Doctor's handwriting.  Comes in handy when doing genealogy, but I still cannot read my husband's handwriting.  At Christmas I also wrapped presents.  I was better at it then than I am now.  A couple of times the delivery guy was sick and I had to drive the delivery Pinto to deliver prescriptons.  I hated that because I was always afraid of not being able to find the home.  No Google maps back then.  I still hate going to new places for fear of getting lost.

My second job was in a sawmill machinery company.  I started out as the receptoinsit/switchboard operator, but it wasn't an old-fashioned switchboard, just had to answer the phone and transfer calls.  I had to learn No hablo Espanol, un momento por favor and then find one of the two men that spoke Spanish.  I moved up to working in differnt departments doing different paperwork jobs including the daily bank deposits.  Had to make everything balance out and I got really good at running an adding machine without even looking at it.  One year I ended up on the top floor of the warehouse doing inventory.  

I dated one of the two men who spoke Spanish even though he was too old for me.  But, a friend of mine from High School ended up marrying him and moving to Chile.  Didn't last though, although she still speaks fondly of him.  

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I dont believe I have ever had an Illegal paying job.

@Imaoldhippie 

Me, either.    Odd question, IMO.   

Honored Contributor

Memory is really hazy.  It was either behind the soda fountain at our local drugstore (cokes were a nickel, cherry cokes were 7 cents.  or in the popcorn stand at a downtown theater.  Both were fun jobs. 

Honored Contributor

I was 17 by then, having just graduated from high school the year before.  I worked as a typist at a collection agency in Long Beach.  We would each type some 200+ letters a day, then into the envelopes that we also typed, and in the mail at the end of the day.

It was fun, for just a nothing/non career-type job and I enjoyed it.   IIRC, my hourly pay was $2.20.     Wow, right?   But, at that time, I could afford an apartment with a roommate (best friend who also worked there, only she was a file clerk).

It's weird how so much time goes by that I can no longer even relate or remember much, like it was somebody else's life that I was just watching.

Trusted Contributor

@Mj12   I remember going to the Arts Center too for many shows!  Even though the name of the Arts Center was changed to PNC, I still refer to it as the Garden State Arts Center.  Thanks for the fun memory! 

Respected Contributor

My last two years of HS I worked at Alden's Catalog in Chicago entering credit card applications.  It was every day after school for four to five hours.  I don't remember the amount, but I made good money there. I remember it was more than double what my friends were making at their part-time jobs. 

I took the bus there, but my father or boyfriend would pick me up at night.   No way my parents were going to let me stand on the corner of Roosevelt Rd. and Cicero Ave. waiting for a bus in the dark.  That's where the ladies of the evening congregated!

Honored Contributor

I got my working papers at 14/15 and was a part-time library page.  

I loved books then and still do.