Honored Contributor

Re: What Should I Do?

[ Edited ]

Teeth are very important and affect your overall health.  I would get 1 or 2 other opinions but if the $10,000 option seems to be the best one, you have the money and it will make you feel better, do it.  You seem to want your husband's approval/enthusiam for your choice.  That may be unrealistic.   But the bottom line-- it's your life, your teeth.  Do what's best for YOU!!

Esteemed Contributor

The question wasn't should you or shouldn't you, it was how to get him on board. If you just tell him how much your teeth bother you every single day and how happy it would make you and how  much more confident you would feel in social situations.....wouldn't that be enough to do the trick?

Respected Contributor

Get all pertinent info, give him a while to get used to the idea, explain why it is important to you ---- then 

do it. 
Enjoy the results.

Honored Contributor

For me there are two other issues.  First of all, how long will they last, how durable are they, when will they need to be replaced or repaired and how much is that down the road?

Also, I think they have to grind down the tooth quite a bit, SO down the road, what if you are in a care facility, or somehow in a situation where you can't get to the dentist and a veneer can't be replaced, how will that affect your health and well being?  

Sixty turns to 70, then 80, etc. etc.  So consider that.  You might live a long time, and your health may or may not be good. . . 

I am sorry you and your husband don't agree on this.  That must be difficult for him.  So don't get in a situation where you are feeling more about doing this because he doesn't feel like you should do it.  It's your mouth and your teeth and you live with them.  One way or another.

Respected Contributor

I understand you wanting to get it done. I would talk to the dentist about alternative methods that are less expensive and see if he can give you different options. You can also get your teeth whitened and may be able to just have the two front ones fixed.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad that you can afford this, because not being able to and wanting it, would be hard.

And I'm not sure you should even worry yourself with getting him on board. Guys can be weird. They just don't get concerned about the same things we do. 

If it won't be a hardship financially for you, and will make you feel better about yourself, just do it. 

But just remember the next time he wants to do something that isn't exactly essential, and let him do it without dissent from you (but you could remind him that because he didn't 'fight' you on the dental work, you will support him on something he wants. 

Honored Contributor

I would definitely check out lesser expensive procedures. But if none are as good or as permanent as veneers, then I would go for it if is something that seriously bothers you now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I say go for it.  You will love the NEW you.  I got 5 veneers when I was 58.  Turned 80 last year and have never had to have any work done on them.  I paid 5000 and insurance covered the rest.  Don't think 10,000 is too much.  Ask for a Care Credit card, no interest for 2 years.  You will smile a great deal more often.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaidenDo it.  I have no idea how old you are, but I imagine you have put a lot of money into your home and family.  There is nothing wrong with now putting the money to something that will make you feel good and better about yourself.

I had arm reduction surgery in August and the cost was about what your teeth will cost.  After paying cash for everything that has been replaced in my home, I did not hesitate to have the surgery that makes me feel and look so much better.

Probably the only difference is that DH never asked me how much it cost.  He only asked, about two weeks after, if I was glad that I had it done.  I guarantee that if you have an excellent dentist to do this that you will be glad every time you smile.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Re: What Should I Do?

[ Edited ]

You have the money (and then some).  You can't take it with you.

Do it