Honored Contributor

Re: What Item Have You Bought, Used, and Immediately Gotten Rid Of?

ECBG  !

I'm glad you called and will receive coupons for the pie.  Companies are usually good with reimbursing with coupons if they want to keep your business.  Yes,  Edward's chocolate pie is delicious, wish I had some right now!!!!  

I read some food reviews on the Q and always see a poorly rated item that ended up in the trash.  I had to laugh at one when the buyer said even the dog wouldn't eat the food item!!!!

Enjoy your next pie!

Esteemed Contributor

Just a few days ago I bought a makeup kit at Marshall's.  The eyeshadows and a couple of other things were fine, but the lip crayon that looked creamy & like a blush color was actually chalky and white!  I truly couldn't believe what I was seeing.  The kit included a lip gloss too, so I put that over it - hoping for a miracle perhaps? - and it was gloppy and no color at all.  I looked like a clown after a very bad night. 

So both the lip crayon and the lip gloss went right into the garbage.  I'm usually a pretty careful shopper - and frugal too - and I can't remember the last time something like this happened.  It wasn't very expensive, but I kind of kicked myself for buying it in the first place.

Respected Contributor

Susan Gravers Liquid knit.  I took the top on vacation and decided to wear in 75 degree weather but was outside in sun.  OMG I felt like I was in a plastic bag.....Never wore again.  Also food and makeup items.

Honored Contributor

I bought one of those anti-gravity chairs for the deck and hate it.  I did not know the back automatically went back if the foot area was raised.  If I wanted to lie down, I'd be on the couch.  

Regular Contributor

I bought that  bamboo outdoor garden broom they had 2 yys ago - supposed to sweep leaves and snow, and touted as the best broom on the market.

It made so much noise, and was so ineffectove I put it in the trash!

Trusted Contributor

It's usually makeup that causes a bad reaction to my skin. 

I have tossed a great number of swimsuits, too, @ECBG. After trying them on, they either looked too ridiculous on me, or were very uncomfortable to actually swim in. 

Then there are kitchen gadgets that ended up being more trouble to clean than they were worth. Tended not to use them for that reason. I donated a few, but threw away most. Those that didn’t perform as promised. 

Valued Contributor

Bought a large ceramic roaster from QVC. Think it was from their house brand. It was advertised as being good to 500F in the oven. I put it in a 385F oven with either a chicken or roast, can't remember. After a very short time the roaster started smoking. It gave off this horrible stench like burning rubber or plastic. The whole house stank. Pulled it out of the oven and put it outside.

Called QVC. It was just over a month since I bought it but the CS person was apologetic and told me to ship it back for a refund. After it cooled down I packed it up really tight in the original packing. You know the next day the sealed-up box still stank horribly. It was awful. You could smell the box from five feet away. I felt bad giving this big stinky package to the post office people.  

I will say this, QVC did refund my money and all my shipping costs. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I can't think of anything, except maybe some food items. After one taste, I threw it out,  especially foods that were too salty. I despise salty food.  Yuck!

Activia did it for me.  Could not find my kitchen sink fast enough. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

We always go out for holidays and my grandson is allergic to eggs. While in the grocery store before Easter I noticed deviled eggs! YUM. They were packaged in six or twelve. I bought the smaller package. Returned home and ate two of the deviled eggs with dinner that evening. They tasted pretty good for not being home-made!

However, within the hour, I had diahrrea! Won't ever buy those again.  Don't know if the eggs or the mayo were old, but the four other eggs went into the disposal. 

@BirkiLady Please let the grocer know.  That could be life threatening to someone else.

Honored Contributor

My neighbor bought some crab cakes once, and you can guess how she got rid of them!