Frequent Contributor

Re: What Is Your "I Should Have" or "If I Had Done Differently"?

I wish I would have spent more time with my Mother. I was in my own happy little busy world of grandchildren and working part time. She was a widow, but had a lot of friends that she played bridge with very often. She always wanted me to stay a little while after we had dinner but I had to leave as I had "things to do."  I took her so for granted and thought she would be here forever and I would do more things with her next time. I miss her every day and hope that she knows that and how much I wish I could go back and do things over. I am sorry for "things that I have done and things that I have failed to do."

I wish I had not been so stoic and had expressed my feelings more to my Mom, SIL and MIL. I wish I had them back for just half an hour each so we could talk and I could express how much I loved and appreciated them.  Miss them terribly.

I wish I would not have been "swept off my feet" by an older man and broken up with my high school sweetheart.  I have had some of the finer things in life that the high school sweetheart probably could not have provided.  But, I think he would have been much nicer to me, more compassionate, taken better care of me and put me first before everybody else without telling me I was selfish for wanting those things.

This was a good topic for venting annonymously. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

DH and I eloped, in so doing, my parents disowned me.  I wish there could have been some way for us to be married without having to elope.   Even though I was 19, my parents didn't even want me to date him so asking permission to marry would have been futile. 

The legal age to marry in our home state was 21, I was 19 so we went to MD where the legal age for marriage was 18.    We had nothing, no wedding gifts, etc.  That first year was so very difficult because about 2 months after marrying, I became pregnant.  We lived far from any family, and no one came to help when our son was born.  Oh, and DH was in college!    I look back on that time and wonder how we did it, but we made it despite all the difficulties.  

So, I guess my "should have or done differently" answer is just that I wish we could have had a lovely wedding.  I had no flowers and our witnesses were court house employees. Oh, no photos either.  

BTW, we are still together!  

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic What a story of pure strength and determination!  You got the right guy even though everything was against you.  You must be one amazing lady!

You might celebrate your lives together by redoing your vows and/or having a reception now with those close to you.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I could go back and talk to my middle teen self, I would say you should have thought better of yourself and you needed to aim higher in your pursuits!  I suppose gaining wisdom with experience and age showed me I shoulda! coulda! woulda!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I came across this quote that reminded me of this thread.

b80308105ea00d05a4aad52884f28038.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady @simplyfriends , I truly believe what @BirkiLady said.  I lost three siblings in a very short time.  One of my brothers had untreatable lung cancer.  He was suffering greatly.  My SIL was not ready to let go.  I told her she had to tell him she was ok.  She did.  He died the same day.  

Don’t mourn the fact you were not there at that moment.  The other times you were there are enough.  LM

Respected Contributor

@ECBG 

Thank you very much for your kind comments. 

On our 50th anniversary we had a wonderful party to celebrate!  Of course our parents are deceased, but we have 3 terrific children and 2 granddaughters  who helped us celebrate.    We didn't have a vow renewal ceremony, that would have been nice.  Oh, BTW, I received several bouquets of flowers including 50 red roses!  

Valued Contributor

I wish I hadn't spent so much time worrying about stuff.  It doesn't do any good!

Respected Contributor

A couple of years ago, one of the neighbors was moving to a smaller place and selling a lot of her furniture.  There was a sofa I loved - Kinda a blue-green tweed.  For some reason, I talked myself out of buying it.  Stupid !!!

Trusted Contributor

I should have been willing to have medical interventions in order to have a second child.