Honored Contributor

Re: What Is Self Care To You?

I'm exhausted just reading it.   I have not given it a pet name...LOL   All that new age stuff strikes me as silly.   I like to be happy, I like feeling good and looking good.  I realized long ago that I should treat myself as well as I treat my family.  No one likes a martyr.  To that end, I am as good and generous to myself as I am to the other people I love.

Honored Contributor

I saw something on the internet the other day and it talked about Hygge and then I saw a commercial on t.v. which mentioned Hygge.  I had never heard of this before and from what I gather it is a Danish thing --- supposedly  what they refer to as "coziness of the soul".  It mentioned things that they do and you can too to renew your body and mind such as going off to a quiet corner and thinking calming thoughts, burning a candle, wrapping yourself up in a soft blanket, sipping a fragrant tea, reading a book you've wanted to read, turning off phones, and gadgets.  Anything I guess that would help you to de-compress.  Simple stuff --- but sometimes we just don't take the time to do it.

I don't think I have ever given myself high priority. Always tried to do for others first and put my needs and wants lasrt.  After you have always done this, it is hard to change.  I am going to try and be a bit more self-indulgent.  Not selfish -- but just try and find a bit more time to do a little more for me!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Practicing self-care was my 2019 goal.

So far, I'm not doing very well.

Thank you for the thread, the posts are aspirational.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Self care to me means making myself happy and not depending on others to do it for me.  This includes doing things I enjoy most--knitting, yoga, attending concerts, going to museums, etc.  

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a great topic!  In my opinion, self-care is not selfish, but necessary to be able to care for others.  Without self-care I couldn't have survived the last few years caring for an elderly parent and disabled sister while working a full time job.  

Some of my self-care includes working out at least 4-5 days a week,  eating healthy foods,  getting enough sleep, taking vitamins,  writing in my gratitude journal everyday, going to the doctor and dentist for check-ups, having my hair cut and colored, having manicures & pedicures, massages & facials, reading and spending time with my sweet hubby.

I almost forgot......Yoga!

RubyNoel
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve always practiced self care. I’m the only one who will/can take care of me. I eat well, keep weight down, exercise always, keep my mind busy, but also turn it off and meditate. 

Skincare has always come before makeup. It’s a ritual I enjoy and see as a necessity to good health and a more healthy complexion. Body exfoliation/moisturizing, too.

The last 6 weeks w/ the stress of Mom’s failing health has tested me. I realized I needed to return to my self care practices to ground myself and stay strong...physically, emotionally and mentally. 

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I agree, I also work out 6 days a week and do yoga too, but in my own house.  I follow dvd instructions and am happy in my own little world.  I try to meditate but have a difficult time concentrating.  I do practice however and believe I am getting better at it.  Who would have thought it would be hard to relax???  Oh but it is and I too try not to commit myself to stressful things and be around stressful people.   I try to find peace in myself and hope it flows to others around me.   God Bless.

@LindaSal  For what it’s worth, here’s how I was taught to relax by a yoga master 30 yrs. ago. Still practice this before bedtime: Lie flat in a warm, dark room. Calming music if you enjoy it. Lightweight blanket and comfie clothes, too. Put an eye mask on if it helps. Think of nothing but your toes. Concentrate on them and how they look and feel. Move them all around and back to relaxed position. Continue to ankles...same exercise. Onward to knees, hips, waist. Go to fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, etc. Next is neck. Roll your head from side to side slowly. Feel your jaw relax...move your jaw side to side  & up and down slowly and back to neutral, relaxed position. Now lie quietly still for 5- 10 minutes. Afterwards I’m floating and relaxed. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

I agree, I also work out 6 days a week and do yoga too, but in my own house.  I follow dvd instructions and am happy in my own little world.  I try to meditate but have a difficult time concentrating.  I do practice however and believe I am getting better at it.  Who would have thought it would be hard to relax???  Oh but it is and I too try not to commit myself to stressful things and be around stressful people.   I try to find peace in myself and hope it flows to others around me.   God Bless.

@LindaSal  For what it’s worth, here’s how I was taught to relax by a yoga master 30 yrs. ago. Still practice this before bedtime: Lie flat in a warm, dark room. Calming music if you enjoy it. Lightweight blanket and comfie clothes, too. Put an eye mask on if it helps. Think of nothing but your toes. Concentrate on them and how they look and feel. Move them all around and back to relaxed position. Continue to ankles...same exercise. Onward to knees, hips, waist. Go to fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, etc. Next is neck. Roll your head from side to side slowly. Feel your jaw relax...move your jaw side to side  & up and down slowly and back to neutral, relaxed position. Now lie quietly still for 5- 10 minutes. Afterwards I’m floating and relaxed. 

@Shanus there was one fitness instructor who conducted an exercise class I attended years ago who would sometimes incorporate this in our cool-down at the end of the class.  We would lie on our mats and she'd turn off the lights, then call out the different body parts we were to relax, from the feet up.  One or two of the ladies would always fall asleep! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Taking inventory of mind, spirit (soul) and physical is my attempt at self care. At this point in my life I know what needs to be done, and will keep learning, but am I making progress? I inventory more often than I used to. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Great advice, thank you so much for sharing!