Honored Contributor

Re: What Is An Item You Feel Lucky To Have Now That

An ice machine.

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@maximillian Love my sporty Forester!

We bought a 2020 Subaru Forester Sport & wanted to go on our first road trip to Louisiana in April  to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary which was in March.  The corona virus put a quick halt to our plans.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was I kid I didn't know enough to want better.  It was just life.  Things are different now.  Cars, appliances, computers and most of all phones.

Trusted Contributor

TV that has a remote! I Remember having to get up all the time to change the channel for my Mom and Dad!!

Valued Contributor

@speedy girl wrote:

TV that has a remote! I Remember having to get up all the time to change the channel for my Mom and Dad!!

Yes, and one without 'tubes'..... remember my dad getting out his old box of used tubes to replace the burned  out ones.... 

Also, glad we don't have to deal with a 'fuse box' and 'fuses' anymore....using a penny to make a connection.....now the modern convenience of a breaker box.... boy, am I showing my age... ha, ha.... 

Esteemed Contributor

Air conditioning and technology are the first two items that come to mind.  My parents owned a 2-story house w/ the bedrooms being upstairs.  They bought the first air condition for their bedroom when I was 10 or 11.  I remember on the really hot ad humid nights they would keep their bedroom door open and I would sleep in the hallway right in front of their door.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

MY ROOMBA!HeartHeartHeart

I am fanatical about clean floors.  (I hate carpeting because I feel you just can't get it clean enough.)

Most people worry about losing power and everything in fridge/freezer. (We do have a generator--even though my parents had a whole house generator growing up--we don't.)

My fear was not being able to vacuum!

We're all hardwood with tile in the baths and when I clean I vacuum and I dry mop (NOT Swiffers), I steam mop, I wet mop.  

But the Roomba runs every day.  Every room.  Under every bed, every dresser.  Under every chair, every table, every couch.  

It charges all night long and runs for about 2+ hours in the living room, dining area, kitchen, reading nook and powder room. 

I empty and recharge and it does 4 bedrooms and 2 master baths in another 2+ hours. 

And it can run if we do lose power!  I flipping love that thing!

Super Contributor

I'm a true depression, Kansas dust bowl kid--so everything any of you mentioned that came after the 1930's is a BIG deal. 

Honored Contributor

Dishwasher.  I've been doing dishes since I was three, it seems like.  Hated them then, hate them now.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

A long list!

Central air, microwave, dishwasher, A/C in the car, computer, my own phone- no sharing wth 8 other people, more than one bathroom, more than one TV and a color TV at that.

We always had an above ground pool in the yard that most others did not.

That about covers me too.  Growing up our house and family car didn't have A/C - my dad was cheap and used to say that to add it would be so expensive for the number of months you use it.  When I left home - first thing I said - "not living anywhere unless their is A/C - and it had to be central air!