Honored Contributor

Re: What Is A Treat You Give Yourself?

It's a treat for us to take a shut-in out for breakfast.  She isn't technically a shut-in but more of a homebody.  I can treat myself to a latte and DH can get Eggs Benedict which I won't make because it looks like two eyeballs staring at me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pecan Sandies. (Calories)

Non-caloric, like to look at jewelry, more than anything. Or again, non caloric, I fill myself with puppy love.

Honored Contributor

Sugar Cream Pie!  We have a restaurant just a few minutes away that  won best  sugar cream pie for the whole state of Indiana. It was featured in a magazine that sent people around all the states to find a dessert that the state was known for.  They then picked the best of of that kind in the state.  I have the recipe but never make it because I think I might eat the whole thing!  Instead, DH runs down to get us a piece every couple months for a treat.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Sugar Cream Pie!  We have a restaurant just a few minutes away that  won best  sugar cream pie for the whole state of Indiana. It was featured in a magazine that sent people around all the states to find a dessert that the state was known for.  They then picked the best of of that kind in the state.  I have the recipe but never make it because I think I might eat the whole thing!  Instead, DH runs down to get us a piece every couple months for a treat.

That sounds delicious! Never heard of it, what is in it other than the obvious sugar and cream?Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

I like to treat myself to a new pair of pj's sometimes. Really not into sweets too much.

Trusted Contributor

Nail polish, makeup, body washes/lotions, face masques, hair care products, etc. Sometimes a 'fancy' coffee. Something cute & quirky from a flea market/antique store.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll buy, or bake, a cheesecake. I usually bake because I mostly find the stores have graham cracker crust, but I prefer other broken cookie crusts. Some other times I like a Baskin Robbins Fudge Mochochino Blast. Or Cinnabon, yum!

Forgot Dairy Queen and I do the chocolate candy once in a while, too, Sees or Russell Stovers. I'd do Krispy Kreme more often but it's a long drive for me.

Honored Contributor

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

That sounds delicious! Never heard of it, what is in it other than the obvious sugar and cream?Woman HappyHeart

2 c. heavy cream

1/2 c. all purpose flour

1/2 c. brown sugar

1/2 c. white sugar  plus 3T. for sprinkling

1/2 c. whole milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 9" pie crust

1 T. unsalted butter

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

In medium bowl, combine heavy cream, flour, brown sugar, 1/2 c. white sugar,milk, and vanilla. Dot bottom of pie crust with butter.  Pour filling into crust.

Combine cinnamon and 3 T. sugar.  Sprinkle on top of pie. Bake until set and center is firm to touch (about 1 hour)  in preheated oven 350 degrees

My DD makes this quite frequently. My grandsons love it.  She cuts the butter in half and has told me she didn't have the unsalted butter so she used the salted butter once and it wasn't as good.  I didn't think it would make that much difference but....she was right!  It surprisingly makes a big difference!

Super Contributor

Hershey's has the relatively new caramels (dark and milk chocolate) that come in a small bag. Every now and then the store puts them buy one get one or buy one get one half off. I treat myself to a bag of each and allow myself one a day.

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Esteemed Contributor

I read Sugar Cream Pie and knew immediately knew you were a Hoosier.  I like it but my mom had a recipe that  used brown sugar.  It was sinfully rich but I preferred it over the original.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown