Honored Contributor

Re: What Goes Beyond Reaching Your Stress Level?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs.  I use a debit card about 100% of the time.  I seldom use credit cards, rarely write checks,  never carry more than a couple dollars cash.  Why do you think it's different from a CC?  It's covered by the same replacement gusrantees.  When I've had mine compromised, I just picked up a temporary card at the bank until the real card arrived.  I surely wasn't asked to pay $36.

@Kachina624...the difference between a credit card and a debit card is that many people have their bank accounts attached to their debit card and there is a potential that their account could be drained. At least with a credit card, your bank accounts are separate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 

Your thread title only. My perception of your question is this. I personally do not understand or know what "beyond" a level, in your context, even means!  Whatever it is, I have never experienced it. I am a Type D and seldom reach what I consider even a high stress level, I just move forward with my life. Your husband?  From your description in your post, he, or both of you, appear to have a problem.  And only over $36 and that happens? JMO!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 As I said about getting a CC, I thought about it.  I just don't see how it's any safer than having a debit card.  But I'm seriously thinking about it.  Thanks.  

As far as my husband, I've been trying to tell him for two years when he began experiencing noticeable health issues (excessive drinking, getting up many times at night to go to the bathroom, eating lots of sugary sweets, sweetened soda) that he needed to go to the doctor and have a complete physical.  He didn't listen.  He didn't want to hear me harping on him.  So now, this.  So much of my input in ANYTHING during our marriage gets blown off as me being uncapable of understanding the "real" world because I didn't have a college education.  I worked low-end jobs, waiting tables, secretarial/office work, etc.  

As I said, he's very very difficult to live with but I've done it so many will say it's my fault.

Thank you for your response Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Trinity11 As I said about getting a CC, I thought about it.  I just don't see how it's any safer than having a debit card.  But I'm seriously thinking about it.  Thanks.  

As far as my husband, I've been trying to tell him for two years when he began experiencing noticeable health issues (excessive drinking, getting up many times at night to go to the bathroom, eating lots of sugary sweets, sweetened soda) that he needed to go to the doctor and have a complete physical.  He didn't listen.  He didn't want to hear me harping on him.  So now, this.  So much of my input in ANYTHING during our marriage gets blown off as me being uncapable of understanding the "real" world because I didn't have a college education.  I worked low-end jobs, waiting tables, secretarial/office work, etc.  

As I said, he's very very difficult to live with but I've done it so many will say it's my fault.

Thank you for your response Smiley Happy

A college education is vastly over-rated when it comes to “smarts.”. No one should ever make you feel less than because you didn’t go to college. In my family everyone have their doctorate but me. My husband attended Ivy League schools and he never once made me feel less than because I have less education. My daughter owned her own company before she sold it. She often told me having a college degree wasn’t her only criteria before she hired someone. Having a good work ethic was very important..

I am so sorry @rms1954 , that you are going through this difficult time.

Respected Contributor

Use a credit card not a debit card.

A debit card is good for the ATM to get money.

The debit card funds are immediately taken from the the account they are in.

With a debit card some banks only allow a certain number of days for you to report a transaction you did not make and that would affect the amount you are responsible for.

CC have more guarantees/protection behind them than debit cards.

Would not advise using a debit card online for any purchases, if you want to go that way then try Pay Pal and let them be the way you would pay for items and use your debit card thru them.That was only a suggestion.

When banks learn about a company being hacked, they check debit cards and then alert the customers. They also alert customers when they see an unusal transaction on a debit card.

Did the bank tell you where and when the account was hacked? You should learn that fact. Since you have been hacked before, it would be interesting to learn if it is a reoccurring thing at some store or whatever that you may use.

Fraud is easily done anywhere you allow someone to walk away with your debit card or CC. That is why workers in restaurants are more apt to take your info., or a salesclerk takes your card and walks from where you are being served to another register you where you can not see them. There are hackers everywhere, when someone seems to be on their phone they could be hacking you. Or when you shop and there is a cafeteria and there is someone who has his lap top opened and facing a register he could be a hacker. You are protected more with a CC.

What I am trying to relate is it is frustrating but it is a tech world, and it is not your fault. It could happen to anyone.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 ...I think I misunderstood. It’s your husband who had the heart attack and diabetes. That explains some of his cranky behavior. Until he gets his blood sugars controlled he will be very sick. Did he buy a glucometer to test his blood sugar? Is he willing to cut his carbohydrate intake? What about meds...any prescribed?

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

A college education is vastly over-rated when it comes to “smarts.”. No one should ever make you feel less than because you didn’t go to college. In my family everyone have their doctorate but me. My husband attended Ivy League schools and he never once made me feel less than because I have less education. My daughter owned her own company before she sold it. She often told me having a college degree wasn’t her only criteria before she hired someone. Having a good work ethic was very important..

@Trinity11 

I have been saying for decades the same wise words you gave to @rms1954 in your response. College nowadays, in my opinion, is even more overrated than in past decades. Also much more expensive which leaves many with massive debt.

During my years of meeting hundreds of people from different types backgrounds, some with college degrees, some without. Those with college degrees doesn't make them a "smarter" person in every day activities, or in their social life.

Like you, I thought @rms1954 husbands father suffered the heart attack. From what she said in her original post, I think her husband just might be the same person, sans the Cardiovascular issue.

Hope you are doing as well as possible.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@rms1954 ...I think I misunderstood. It’s your husband who had the heart attack and diabetes. That explains some of his cranky behavior. Until he gets his blood sugars controlled he will be very sick. Did he buy a glucometer to test his blood sugar? Is he willing to cut his carbohydrate intake? What about meds...any prescribed?

Yes, it was he who had the heart attack.  I thought I was clear but I was babbling.  He's more than cranky.  Cranky I can understand.  He's always been plain mean.  He has all his meds and pills and test equipment and when he returns he has follow up appts with a cardiologist and endocrinologist. 

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 - sorry you are having a really bad day. Not a good way to start - but think - it can only go up from here, lol. I had my debit card breached over the summer and did not get a charge at all. If you need money, you can still write a check and cash it at your bank - at least that is what they told me.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 

For your sake I hope your husband does as told by his doctors. I have had 2 heart attacks and I am the same old laid back John I was before I had them. Men have more mental type issues than women post heart attack. Think it's because some then start questioning their masculinity and also realize they may be s bit more vulnerable than they thought.

Take care of yourself and try to lower your stress level, purty please!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)