Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Do You Do For New Years ?

[ Edited ]

New Year's Eve, we have an early dinner, usually at our favorite Chinese restaurant, and then come home.  We have pets, so I feel the need to be home in case of those annoying fireworks.  While I love to watch fireworks, I hate the ones that people set off in their back yards.

New Year's Day, I do a quick workout at the Y and then come home and spend the rest of the day watching the Mummers Parade.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

New Year's Eve, we have an early dinner, usually at our favorite Chinese restauant, and then come home.  We have pets, so I feel the need to be home in case of those annoying fireworks.  While I love to watch fireworks, I hate the ones that people set off in their back yards.

New Year's Day, I do a quick workout at the Y and then come home and spend the rest of the day watching the Mummers Parade.

@SXMGirl . I like to watch the Mummers' parade too! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I usually make a large pot of pork and sauerkraut and serve with mashed potatoes on New Years Eve and Day.  It's supposed to give you good fortune for the new year. 

We just moved two weeks ago so this year I am not doing that.  Much too busy with other priorities.  Rather, we are going out for pork and sauerkraut to a church dinner in our area.  When we return home we'll watch college football bowl games and in the evening will probably watch old movies.  If possible I'll stay up to watch the NYC ball drop (no promises on that).

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Same thing I do the other 364 nights a year; sit in front of my TV, cursing my trashy trailer neighbors for their noise.   As soon as I hear fireworks up there, I pray they set the place on fire, which if it ever happens, will send me out on my porch to sit and watch!   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We will spend a quiet evening at home with the pup, a fire, and probably a visit to the backyard to take a look at the waning moon.  We are easily pleased and appreciative that we have another year to look forward to.

Respected Contributor

Used to love getting dressed up and going out dining and dancing and celebrating the New Year.

For the last 10 years those days are past and now DH is sleeping before Midnight and it is just another night.  Some years I watch some of the celebrations on TV and some I am just too interested in my book.

We spend New Years Eve day and New Year's day taking down and storing Christmas decor.  We don't usually go out to eat NYE to avoid the celebrating drivers, but we do on New Years Day.

Respected Contributor

I reflect on the year that's ending. I prepare my own Top Ten list--important (to me) things that occurred.

I've been doing this for decades.

Honored Contributor

We will dine out. Back home early. Make an ice cream drink for dessert. Watch ball drop in NY. Asleep soon therefter. Up at 8am for a church service.

Honored Contributor

Sleep and turn over all calendars here.

Honored Contributor

No plans.  Went out a few times when I was much younger.  Never really had a great time.  It was always so loud, so crowded and people were so drunk and obnoxious acting for the most part, that I always wished that I had stayed at home!!!  DH and I can't even stay awake long enough to watch the ball drop!!!  We always have shrimp cocktail and the soft New Year's pretzel for the evening.  For New Year's Day we usually have pork and sauerkraut which has always been a tradition of sorts with our family.  That's about as exciting as it gets!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin