Respected Contributor

What Do You Do For New Years ?

I used to enjoy going out for dinner when I was married. It seems less people go out and celebrate in my area. I know my Stepdaughter lived in  a city and they had five bands at a Hotel. I used to babysit so she and her husband  at the time ,could go out. It was formal attire. What are your plans if any?

Respected Contributor

Re: What Do You Do For New Years ?

Sleep. Try to ignore fools with illegal fireworks.

Trusted Contributor

thPJY0ROBP.jpg

Honored Contributor

sleep

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago DH & I used to go to a catering hall .They had a live band & a formal dinner.We would get all dressed up.

After my son was born we started going to a friends house.That was informal & fun.We did that for a few years.

The last 10 years we’ve been staying home.Popping a bottle of champagne & watching the festivities on tv.I make a bunch of appetizers & a fancy cheese, cracker & pepperoni plate. We’ve had a lot of fun doing that.

This year we were invited to spend New Years Eve at my son’s girlfriend’s house.Her parents asked us to spend the night so DH doesn’t have to be the designated driver.My son really wants us to go & we are looking forward to the change.

Respected Contributor

Been there and done that so now it's a joy to just sit before a fireplace and relax, not to be bothered by any more loud people who have had too much to drink.. Safer inside too than on the roads.with all the careless drivers who are sure to be out and about at that time.of year.    Happy 2019 to all and be safe!

Esteemed Contributor

Home, watching TV and trying to comfort my cats who hate the sound of fireworks that inevitably somebody will be firing in my neighborhood. 

Honored Contributor

I always thought it was a silly time to begin a new year, right in the middle of winter.  What's new about that?

Some other cultures have it right and say the new year begins when spring begins.  No stupid loud fireworks then, either.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

We usually go out to our favorite Mexican food restaurant for lunch and then go home and stay put. Hope no one does something stupid with fireworks. Real exciting stuff. 

Honored Contributor

I only went out once in my life on NYE. It was the year I got engaged for Christmas.  A family member of my DH got divorced and had great tickets for dinner, dancing and a hotel room in a really fine upscale establishment.

We went to dinner in formal attire, then drove home in at least a foot of snow and ice.  I didn't think we would make it without having an accident.

I was not allowed to spend the night with him, so I had no choice.  My father was strict and I was only 18.  We were both too young to drink at the time.

That was my first and last NYE outing.  My DH always worked on NYE and he was busy ( police officer) and the few times he didn't, we didn't have a baby sitter, so we stayed home.  Because we turned down all invitations for NYE, people stopped sending invites.

This week we got an invite from a neighbor who has lived here for about the same amount time as we have...30 years.  They are having a neighborhood open house.

I don't know if we are going or not.  If I had to guess, I think we will probably be spending the night at home. I know who they are to say hello, but have never socialized with them before.