Honored Contributor

Re: What Are Your Mother's Day Plans?

Since my adult daughters store their belongings here, and still technically live here, I get to enjoy quality time with both of them on an irregular basis.

I’m never been fond of this designated day in May.   The little surprises trucker daughter brings in from her travels, or teacher daughter orders from fundraisers at school are more meaningful to me.

I will probably pick up lunch on Saturday and enjoy a visit with my mom.   

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Meowingkitty  same thing at my house.....don't even go to

church

....been humiliated a time or two so we don't eat out either.  I had a great mom, she has been gone 25+ years.

I know what you mean!  I do go to church but I HATE it when they have all the moms stand up & everyone claps!  It is so embarrassing & ridiculous, I am cringing just thinking about it!

Respected Contributor

DH gets take out. We used to go out for dinner or breakfast. But the restaurants have gotten so crowded and service is so slow.

It’s not worth the hassle to go out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG ~ I love a good omelet, or chicken and waffles, but I get what you're saying! 😆 The dads get ribs and steaks. 

I'll be missing my own mom, like many of you, but then... I miss her every day. 

We're staying home after church. Our two sons and their families live local, so they'll be here for the cookout ~ with my DILs parents, too. The guys will grill ~ surf 'n' turf. We ladies will get the day off from cooking and cleaning up after. I'll get to play with my 2 grandkids in the pool ~ always a bonus! Our daughter lives out of state, but will call. She's coming home the following weekend for a wedding we're all attending. She's bringing my gift then, though I've told them all, a card or phone call is just fine if they can’t be here. 

What I'm most excited about is, I finally got them all to agree to have a professional family portrait made together next weekend after the wedding. We haven’t done that since my little grandson was born. 😊 

Respected Contributor

Since we just had Easter and our younger son's birthday, we're keeping Mother's Day simple.  I told my 3 children that I didn't want any gifts and we are getting together at our house for take out pizza!   Everyone is happy! 

Respected Contributor

@tipsy 

Slightly off the main topic, however you mentioned being embarassed at church.  I have a similar issue.  I am a catholic, not very devout, but nonetheless, that's what I consider my religion.  I was brought up in the "old" church, Latin mass, etc.  The children sat in a group before the nuns during mass and no one had better make a move, or speak other than what was called for, because a nun would let you know you were in trouble.  

Today, we are supposed shake hands with those seated nearby.  I cannot turn around and greet those behind me!  It's even hard to shake hands with those in front or beside me.  I just know a nun will have my head! LOL!  

Additionally, we were taught to pray with our palms together, fingers  pointed up.  Today, we're supposed to raise our arms with open hands.  I cannot do it, my hands remain as I was instructed many years ago.  

If you aren't familiar with the old church, watch the movie "Doubt" starring Meryl Streep.  She nails it!   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic wrote:

@tipsy 

Slightly off the main topic, however you mentioned being embarassed at church.  I have a similar issue.  I am a catholic, not very devout, but nonetheless, that's what I consider my religion.  I was brought up in the "old" church, Latin mass, etc.  The children sat in a group before the nuns during mass and no one had better make a move, or speak other than what was called for, because a nun would let you know you were in trouble.  

Today, we are supposed shake hands with those seated nearby.  I cannot turn around and greet those behind me!  It's even hard to shake hands with those in front or beside me.  I just know a nun will have my head! LOL!  

Additionally, we were taught to pray with our palms together, fingers  pointed up.  Today, we're supposed to raise our arms with open hands.  I cannot do it, my hands remain as I was instructed many years ago.  

If you aren't familiar with the old church, watch the movie "Doubt" starring Meryl Streep.  She nails it!   

@this is my nic. Regarding the Church. I am not Catholic but every funeral I have been to in the last 20 years seems to be at a Catholic Church. I cannot stand the shake hands and greetings! I cringe also. I don’t want to shake hands and greet someone I don’t know.

I’m sure it’s done in my religion also, I just don’t go to Church. Seems like it’s the thing to do these days. Edited to add. No plans for Mother’s Day.

Respected Contributor

@tipsy wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Meowingkitty  same thing at my house.....don't even go to

church

....been humiliated a time or two so we don't eat out either.  I had a great mom, she has been gone 25+ years.

I know what you mean!  I do go to church but I HATE it when they have all the moms stand up & everyone claps!  It is so embarrassing & ridiculous, I am cringing just thinking about it!

At the church that I used to attend, the sermon on EVERY Mother's Day was a cringe worthy commentary on how being a mother was absolutely the highest calling that any woman could aspire to. Lovely. So, in the eyes of my denomination, my contributions and accomplishments were of absolutely no value because I'm not a parent. I let both the pastor (who's wife is also ordained and has an M.Div) and consistory know exactly how offensive it was, but nothing ever changed. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Thanks for asking! And you sound like a great MIL, putting the focus on you DIL.

My daughter and I are spending the weekend in St. Louis with my granddaughter.  She's at the University there.  It should be so much fun,St. Louis is a really nice city and I adore my granddaughter. I also have THE best daughter in the world,not to leave out a,FANTASTIC son. I know...I'm bragging but just grateful.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

My Mom had Brain Surgery about two months ago, and she is home, but still receiving lots of Therapy....So we are having Dinner on Saturday with her, we(sisters and I) are making it. So we plan on enjoying the afternoon with her, with my daughters as well, and then dessert and give her her gifts....

Sunday, Hubby and I will go to church and after church, we have lunch at church, this year it is Lasagna, Salad, Breadsticks and Dessert.....After church, daughters and I and husbands will go to our house for dessert and gifts and just hang out together.....If my Mom is able she will come to church with us as well.....

It is hard because my youngest daughter is a Nurse, and works every other weekend and doesn't live in the same town, and my oldest daughter also doesn't live in the same town, although they are both within 2 hours of us.....  So Sometimes we don't actually celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day on the exact days, but that's ok!