Respected Contributor

Re: What ACHIEVEMENT are you most proud of?

Great response Malcontent. You should be a comedy writer.
Esteemed Contributor

Everyone here has a lot to be proud.  

Mine is raising 3 succesful children as a single parent, the youngest was 5, 7,9.  Didn't remarry until they all left home.

Today, two are retired from very successful business and now all are grandparents.

I raised them in the fifties and up until they all left home.

I had to go to work in a world that was not kind to women, and having no experience in the world of business for quite a few years, it was hard, but it was also a time were business were willing to train the employees as long as they were willing to hire you. 

I had always wanted to go to college and get a degree, but as a single mom, could not find the time or energy. I had to work two, sometime three jobs. One full and the others part-time. Yet had no problems with my children. No day care then, my grandmother watched them.

At the age of 72, I finally got my degree, made the Dean's Honor List, received a Scholarship, and gave the Commencement speech.

My speech was about "Age Has No Limits".  If you have a dream or desire and really want it, go for it, forget the hype about being too old.

I always heard women say, I'm too old for this or that.  Not true.  

I really enjoyed school and also learning from the young peope and they enjoyed hearing stories from me about the olden days.  In Wormen's History class, the books talked about WW11 and how women went to work in the Shipyards, while the men were away at war, but when the men came home they lost their jobs and had to go home and be Good little girls.

I would tell stories about my Mother and Grandmother during those times.

The kids, would always ask the teacher if I could talk about this or that.

At the beginning of a new semister, they would think I was the teacher or professor.  I would say no, I'm a student, just like you.  I was older than any of my instructors of course by years.

Honored Contributor

I was about to say my degrees which I got while working full time and raising a family and my career. I retired recently and I built an amazing career and influenced and guided the next generation while maintaining my professional and personal integrity.  I'm proud of that but my greatest achievement was raising two amazing daughters.  I'm in awe of them.  So proud to be their mom.  They have both had career success, they are amazing moms and wives, they are source of strength to family and friends.  

Valued Contributor

I took care of my aunt, who had Alzheimer’s, for years. My mom (her sister) also got Alzheimers and I took care of her until she finally needed a 24 hour live in caregiver until she passed away. I also took care of my dad until his heart weakened beyond repair and he passed away. During all this I was also raising my very young daughter who turned out to be a funny, intelligent, kind, compassionate, responsible, loving, beautiful young adult. I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve her, but I thank God every day.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Glittergal wrote:

Rescuing disabled or sick animals and letting them live out the happiest life possible with me.  That makes me feel the most proud.

@Glittergal 

The world, especially the animal world, need more people like yourself. I am glad to see you feel proud of doing this. Many people that are not involved in this type of thing do not realize the time/love and effort that goes into the rescue of injured and/or unwanted animals left to fend for themselves.

My wife was a volunteer for a 5 State Boxer Rescue organization for many years. She drove thousands of miles moving animals from No Kill Animal Shelters, to foster homes in 1 of those 5 States. Sadly, Kansas was the worst, when it came to Puppy Mills, discarding dogs after their usefulness to them was done.

We fostered many of those Boxers until they got their forever homes. Much of those foster times, we also had 13 indoor only cats, we had rescued from our own property.

Many litters of cats were born on our property. When the kittens were old enough, I would grab them. With the help of our vet, we would adopt them out to loving families. That number is well over 50 in our decades of living in our present home, and in our prior town home.

Thank you for making these animals a major part of your life activity. There are just too many humans that discard animals, and never enough like yourself, who love them enough to rescue the millions of them in need.

Best wishes to you, and all animal lovers salute you for all your work and caring.

=^..^=

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

For me it was getting an education which allowed me to enjoy a fulfilling career for 40 years. 

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush 

what a great topic I'm enjoying reading all the replies!!

Kudos to all 

but my biggest accomplishment in true jest "surviving & living thru my boys teenage years!"  Oh boy what a ride that was but both are a "blessing" and its wonderful to know they're always there for us!

Everyone savor in your life accomplishments & blessings...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know which I'm proudest of but the following are about equal:

Earning two degrees from an Ivy League university

Raising two wonderful and accomplished daughters

Being married for 57 years

Mastering the French language 

P.S. I almost forgot....a great career helping thousands of undergraduate students over more than 30 years

Esteemed Contributor

@mamaslittlepotato 

From reading what you have done for so many others, I know what you did to deserve the daughter you raised. She obviously was very cognizant of how you lived your life, and followed your example.

For all you have done for others in your life, you should be very proud.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@hckynutjohn Thank you for your very kind words. They mean a lot to me.