Esteemed Contributor

Re: What ACHIEVEMENT are you most proud of?

Being a 2 time high school dropout/joining the United States Army and getting my GED/retiring when I was 52.

Getting voted to receive an Award putting my name in the Omaha Hockey Hall of Fame.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I do not consider myself book smart, never had a desire to work towards that. My preference was being life smart, learning how the world I was going to grow up in worked.

I spent decades associating with many men that had degrees up the wazoo. During that time I never once felt inferior to any of them, me with just my GED.

You have lived a life that many yearn for, but never achieve, with or without book smarts. And to lose 152 lbs, is something to be very proud of too. Many try, but only a minority succeed.

Really enjoyed reading a small trip through your life.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

I'm most proud of having been a single mom who raised a child that became a National Merit Scholar, was accepted into ivy league universities, and is now a physicist. My child is also a good person and has integrity. I like to think that my work ethic and completing 2 masters degrees while parenting was some sort of role model and had some impact, but I cannot take away from my child's own strong efforts.

@Desert Lily   You should be very proud of yourself and your child.   I also raised a daughter as a single parent.  I went back to school to get my masters degree in education at the age of 40.  My daughter started kindergarten the day I started my program.  So we each began a new adventure at the same time.   It was a little difficult sitting in class with 20 year olds...because  I felt like their mom...😊.  but I enjoyed the experience.   Fast forward...My daughter eventually went on to college for her bachelors and masters degrees followed by her doctorate.  She is now an Audiologist and I could not be more proud of her.  I agree that being a positive role model definitely has an impact.   So yes, raising my child is an achievement I am most proud of.  But watching her achieve her goals has been priceless.   

Valued Contributor

Rescuing disabled or sick animals and letting them live out the happiest life possible with me.  That makes me feel the most proud.

Trusted Contributor

@Flatbush 

Not wringing my husband’s neck after 50 plus years of marriage.

He is such a pain in the you-know-what and I’m perfect.

I’m gonna keep him only because no one else wants him.

That and he gave me four great children. They look like me.

Trusted Contributor

Years ago I was a bone marrow match for a cancer patient. So I was able to donate the bone marrow for her and I felt blessed to be able to do it. She is cancer free now and it was a honor to be able to help. 

Trusted Contributor

@Malcontent  - Your post made me laugh, thanks for the chuckle !

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn I love that statement "lifesmart"!!!!   So true, that is something I have  always instilled in my kids.  I was no scholar when I graduated high school, but I have been blessed with common sense, which has carried me well through life.

Esteemed Contributor

As far as my proudest achievement.........I lost my dad close to my 21st birthday (he was only 49).  With his company insurance we had a 24 month window to go to community college and get a degree and they would pay for it.  With a one year old and pregnant for a second, I went to school part time at night for one year to get my intial courses done.   I had my son in the middle of that second semester.  The following year I completed my certification in Dental Assisting and got my Associates degree..........difficult time but I had a supportive husband and wonderful siblings that helped me through.  Even though many nights I cried and simply fell asleep on the living room floor on top of my books.  

That's my story.

Honored Contributor

I can just hear Oprah,  "You get a star!" and "you get a star!" What an uplifting thread.